Pages

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Ice Cream Sandwiches

          I don't know about you but I love ice cream all year round. In the book Crazy About Cookies by Krystina Castella it shows a way to incorporate cookies and ice cream.
         The basic of the recipe is to make cark chocolate cookies with mint chocolate chip ice cream instead. The cookies are drop cookies. Krystina said that drop cookies are the easiest type to make in large batches, the cookies tend to be soft and the dough is going to be sticky that looks like a mini ice-cream scoop.(Castella 31). A tip she had with the cookies is to refrigerate the dough balls in the fridge because the butter in the cookies will harden and then not pelt as fast and expand you cookies.
The recipe she gave for the cookie is...

" 1/2 cup of flour
   1/4 tsp. Baking powder
   1/2 stick of butter
   12 ounces of dark chocolate chips
   3/4 cup light brown sugar
   2 tsp. Vanilla
   2 large eggs    " (Castella 78)

        The first step was to temper the chocolate with the butter and brown sugar. I have tempered before but only with the info from my parents. Kristina said that I could use a double broiler, where you can take a pot with 1 inch of water in the bottom with a big bowl on top, making sure that the water does not touch the bowl. (Castella 6) It melted the chocolate slowly and gradually.

                                     

        So making the dough was a challenge for me because since the dough was drop I assumed it would be a slightly firm dough with sticky aspects, but the dough resembled brownie dough. I had never experienced a dough like it to I added more flour and refrigerated it for 30 minutes. I double checked all the steps and ingredients and everything was to par.

         I  baked the cookies for 7-10 minutes and they cam out hard. I was confused because I took them out at 7 minutes in because a tip my Nana gave me was to always check the dish at the smallest time that is listed, the reason for this is because you can continue to bake un baked goods but you can't un bake them. 
         So for the ice cream part I bought Dreyer's Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream. I waited 10 minutes for the cookies to cool before making them into sandwiches but I guess that wasn't enough. I scooped the ice-cream with a scooper and placed about 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of ice-cream per sandwich. The ice cream started to melt and soften. So I gave my sister Shannon one for her to try and she put the slightest amount of pressure and the ice cream spurted outwards.

        After placing them in all in the freezer for 3 hours they were set. My family tried them and they all said the cookies part was a little hard and a little dark for their taste.

                                  


        This experience made me sort of angry. It surprised me at almost every step and made me question everything. What I took from this is that I need to not add more ingredients to a recipe that is not in the recipe, and wait for cookies to cool down after baking them. I could apply that to other cookies like sugar cookies.

So my questions for you:
Have you ever been frustrated with a recipe before?
Do you like Ice-Cream in the winter?
What do you do if you think or dough is too runny/stiff?

Comment down below!

Citation
Castella, Krystina. Crazy about Cookies: 300 Scrumptious Recipes for Every Occasion & Craving. New York: Sterling, 2010. Print.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry your recipe was frustrating! I have been frustrated with recipes many times, such as when I had to make a strawberry shortcake recipe that turned out way too doughy and hard. I never figured out how to fix it so I can't answer your other question. I do like ice cream in the winter though, it's the one dessert I can never resist and I love it year-round.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shortcake seems really hard, the texture is so light and it's so delicate. I have never wanted to attempt it because it seems so difficult. Recently my Nana told me that over mixing is a thing so I think that might have been what's wrong. Ice-Cream is just amazing. Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete