Pages

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Pork Lo Mein

My favorite Asian dishes have always been noodles. I don't know what it is about them but I love them, and I've always wanted to make them. Lo mein is different then chow mein, a more popular noodle dish, especially in the United States. "The dishes are similar, both featuring noodles mixed with stir-fried meat and vegetables and a savory sauce. But whereas chow mein refers to parboiled stir-fried noodles, lo mein refers to noodles that are fully cooked separately and quickly tossed with sauce in the wok." (144) The first step I took to making lo mein was to make the sauce. The sauce was a combination of soy sauce, oyster sauce, Chinese rice wine, and honey.
 After you make the sauce, it's time to cook the noodles. Boil the noodles until al dente. Then drain the noodles, and coat in sesame oil and set the noodles aside.
Now it's time to prepare the vegetables and pork. Because of a lack of time, and left overs, we used store bought barbecue pork. But the scallions and shiitake mushrooms are both fresh, thinly sliced, and ready to be added to the noodles.
To put all of the ingredients together and cook the lo mein, first add ginger, garlic, and scallions, until they become aromatic, then add the mushrooms until they have softened. Now it's time to add the noodles and pork. After you put in the noodles and pork, you should add the sauce right after and toss the noodles until completely heated through and coated with sauce, and then you are ready to serve!
If you have had chow mein, and lo mein, which one was your favorite? Could you even tell the difference?

Citation:
Kuan, Diana. The Chinese Takeout Cookbook. 2012.

4 comments:

  1. Did you use rice noodles? How do you get them soft? I soak them for the amount of time on the package, but they always seem kinda hard to me. Do you have any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember what type of noodles I used, but for getting the noodles to be just right I boiled them for the amount of time on the package, and then tried one of the noodles, and if it was hard I just kept boiling them for a little bit longer until they were the right softness.

      Delete
  2. Looks as if you did a really good job cooking this Shane! Did it turn out good and do you have any secrets or opinions to making it better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Noah. I didn't really try anything special or have any secrets, I just followed the instructions that were given in the book. Maybe if I decide to cook it again I might try something different.

      Delete