Pages

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Who doesn't love a good oatmeal cookie

Whenever I make cookies they are always the classic chocolate chip cookies and never made from scratch. I've never really challenged myself enough to make something other than that. But, this time I thought I would try something different. As I searched through my cook book, Nestle Toll House Three Books In One, ignoring the chocolate chip cookie recipes, I stumbled across an Oatmeal Sotchies recipe. They have a fairly large amount of ingredients compared to the chocolate chip cookies, such as 1 teaspoon grated peel of 1 orange, 3 cups quick or old-fashioned oats, 1 2/3 cups TOLL HOUSE butterscotch flavored morsels (109).

Another difference I saw with making cookies that were not just chocolate chip and weren't from a box is that they also called for mixing things a certain way. For example, you have to "beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla extract in large mixing bowl. Gradually beat in flour mixture" (109). As you can tell, unlike box cookies, you have to separately mix everything.

One last thing I noticed that was different from box cookies is that the directions for the Oatmeal Scotchies even told you how big to make each cookie "drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets" (109). With this, I was able to successfully make a cookie that isn't too small, which I had normally ended up doing before this.



What I learned with making cookies that were home-made and not just traditional chocolate chip, is patience. While making the cookies, it took a surprising amount of time. I had to separately mix and beat everything separate than at the very end mix it altogether. But after words it was worth it because I noticed the cookies tasted better putting in that extra effort.

Question: Do you normally home-make your cookies or just use box mix?

Citation: Nestle. Toll House 3 Books In 1. N.p.: Nestle USA, inc, 2010. Print

8 comments:

  1. If I make cookies, which is rare, because I am a health nut, I home-make them. I don't like to ingest too many strange additives. I also always make at least a double batch and then flash freeze them to use later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think home-made cookies are much better then store bot now that I have become better at baking. There's comforting about home-making them, knowing exactly what is in them and how they were made.

      Delete
  2. The picture looks really yummy even though I'm not a big fan of oatmeal. The cookie sizes look big and fit perfectly in the pan. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Darian. They taste yummy too! You should try my cookies, you might like oatmeal cookies after trying mine.

      Delete
  3. I usually buy cookies because I'm too lazy to bake, but after reading your post I think I'm going to try making them homemade more often since I've noticed that homemade ones taste better too (unless you mess up the recipe, which I often do).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I used to mess up the recipe a lot too, which turned into a complete disaster at times. But, I've learned you have to follow the recipe step by step in order to ensure the cookies or whatever you are baking, turn out how it is supposed to.

      Delete
  4. My dad and my sister usually bake them from scratch while I eat some of the cookie batter. Usually we are too lazy and end up buying them from the store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I get lazy too and just decide to buy them. But I've noticed that home-made cookies are a lot better because you can taste them when they are fresh and still warm, which is super delicious.

      Delete