Pages

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Visualizing

"In his great book called Psycho-Cibernetics, Dr. Maxwell Maltz cites again and again the value of visualizing a task before you try to perform it" (DeVenzio 262). DeVenzio adds that envisioning something in your mind's eye helps the brain in giving the body commands necessary to make the thing happen during the time of performance (262).

The best example that I can relate this to for me in the game of basketball is free throws. If I walk up to the line and picture myself missing out of my sore lack of confidence, my chances of missing just shot up. DeVenzio advises to make it a habit of picturing yourself performing successfully; "As you lie in bed the night before a game, you may actually affect your performance the next day positively by 'programming' your mind with visions of activities you will need that next day" (262). I decided to take his input and take it one step further: Rather than reviewing film and noting all of the things to work on, before a game, watch a highlight reel of yourself doing great. This will get you pumped up and in a confident frame of mind. 

This is one of the videos that I use as a resource to watch before a game, so that I can have the confidence I need to perform well. 
Have you ever imagined yourself missing a shot? Did it still go in? Do you ever tell yourself "this is in" when you shoot? Or picture the ball going in right before you shoot?  Do you believe in this technique of 'visualizing'?

Citation:
DeVenzio, Dick. Stuff Good Players Should Know. 3rd ed. Stafford: PGC
     Basketball, 1983. Print

0 comments:

Post a Comment