Pages

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Ultimate Ice Cream Sandwiches

One thing I have always loved growing up is ice cream sandwiches. For my brother and I, this was our all time favorite childhood snack. While reading my Nestle Toll House Three Books In One cook book, I found a Ice Cream Sandwich recipe and decided to home make this favorite childhood treat of my brother and I.

The recipe called for only 3 ingredients, 1 packaged Nestle Toll House Ultimate's chocolate chip lovers Cookie Bar Dough, 3 cups vanilla or chocolate ice cream slightly softened, Nestle Toll House semi-sweet chocolate mini morsels (186). Now although this seemed like the ice cream sandwiches I would eat as a child, it has a slight change. Instead of a unique cookie layer, this ice cream sandwich is made from real cookies. Another small difference is after you bake the cookies and place the vanilla ice cream between them, you then "roll sides of sandwich in morsels" (186).



After my ice cream sandwiches were finished, I had my brother try them and he loved them! They were slightly different from our childhood treat but, it's safe to say he and I agree this now our new favorite.

I realized that when you home-make something, its more meaningful then store bot items. From now on I will home-make ice cream sandwiches for my brother and I.

Question: What is your favorite childhood snack?

Citation: Nestle. Toll House 3 Books In 1. N.p.: Nestle USA, inc, 2010. Print

12 comments:

  1. Hi Madi, first off let me just tell you that your ice cream sandwiches look delicious. To answer your question I think that my favorite childhood snack had to be Koolaid Popsicles. They were not only inexpensive, but they tasted delicious. I do have one idea though, I would bake a batch of bottom layer cookies and then let them cool fully. Then I would back fresh cookies placing them on top of the then crunchy bottom layer of cookie with a layer of ice cream. Just an idea but I thing it could taste really well, the crunch, cold, and gooey warmth of the fresh cookie YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your thought Mel. I think I will try that sometime, I'm picturing it and it sounds delicious. Oh and about your favorite childhood snack, I remember those Koolaid Popsicles! They were so yummy, especially on a hot summer day. My favorite popsicle as a child were those Spongebob ones you could get from the ice-cream man. Yummy!

      Delete
  2. Wow, these look amazing! Where the cookies you put on them crunchy or soft and chewy? I feel like this would be a way to make the ice cream bar unique to someone's personal preferences. Also, I was wondering how did you soften the ice cream, did you just leave it out for a little bit? I don't know that I could pick my favorite childhood snack because there is so many delicious foods out there, but by far the most common thing that I would buy from the ice cream truck/stand is a Choco Taco.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Brooke! When baking the cookies I made sure to bake them to the suggested time, 12 minutes, but made sure they weren't too over cooked, just enough to be able to hold the ice cream without collapsing. As far as the ice cream goes I just sat it out for a few minutes but not too long, or else the ice cream would have started dripping off the cookie. Also, I remember those taco's! Makes me hungry now haha, they are yummy!

      Delete
  3. Those look really good. I always liked ice cream. It's really gross, but we would melt it in the microwave and then eat it. Ick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Mrs. Robison! Haha, I have to melt ice cream in the microwave all the time because sometimes the ice cream doesn't thaw enough, but I'd agree it's a little gross at times.

      Delete
  4. These look great! Did the ice cream stay in between the cookies or did it slide out easily? My favorite childhood food would have to be chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream! To this day it is still my favorite ice cream to have! Also, did you let the cookies and ice cream sit for awhile or did you put them in the freezer? Great job, they look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily! To answer your question, I let the cookies cool down on the counter instead of in the fridge or freezer. Also, I did not have a problem with the ice cream falling out, the cookie was cooled off enough to stay in between the cookies.

      Delete
  5. Wow those ice cream sandwiches look bomb. I wish I was able to make food or treats like that. When I was a kid my mom used to make a cookie pizza; it was like a giant cookie and you put toppings on it like a pizza. Maybe you can try and make those sometime there super delicious and you look like a really good cook so they should turn out amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you Sam! I've never had a cookie pizza, but it sounds creative and delicious I will have to try it sometime.

      Delete
  6. Hi Madison! those look so good! my favorite childhood snack was fruit nuggets. I had a cook book too for my blog and I also made ice cream sandwiches! they were a dark chocolate cookie with mint ice cream. I should of added chocolate chips for texture! Mine didn't turn out as great, I'm glad yours did! For surrounding the ice cream with morsels, did you place them in a bowl and turned the sandwich around? What technique did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bonnie for your comment. I looked at your ice cream sandwiches and they look yummy! The mint chocolate chip ice cream seems like a good idea. Also, to answer your question, I did use that technique!

      Delete