Pages

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Hiking with a dog

"Today, there are more hikers than ever before and there are also more dog owners than at any time in history. That means the intersection of those two population segment-hikers with dogs-is booming, too" (Nelson 12). Over the summer, I wanted to get into hiking with my dog and when we were given this assignment of creating a blog about personal hobbies, I thought it would be fun to choose a book about hiking and exploring the northwest with a dog. 


Over the four day weekend, I decided to go on a hike to Rattle Snake Ridge near the town of North bend with my dog Dexter.




In the book, Best Hikes with Dogs by Dan Nelson, he quotes, "I have always been a dog person, and I have always enjoyed hiking and sharing the wild backcountry with canine companion" (Nelson 11). I can easily relate to this quote because I love spending time with my dog and exploring the outdoors when I get the chance.


The first step for going on a hike with a dog is, "The key is education...for dogs and the dog’s owner...if dog owners continue to let their canines run freely up the trails...and harassing other hikers and any unwanted approach of a hiker by a dog can be considered harassment"(Nelson 12). This was my main struggle I had to overcome because my dog Dexter is very hyper and will bark at any dog he sees.


The second step for going on a hike with a dog is to "plan ahead and prepare" (Nelson 20). I had planned this hike with my dad the week before break so that I could research on how to prepare my dog on his first hiking experience which I read in Best Hikes with Dogs by Dan Nelson.


There are over ten steps on how to prepare your dog on going on a hike, but I thought the two above were the most important to me. My overall experience going on a 2 hour hike with my dog was exciting and new to me, but the next time I go, I will research a little more because I did not know if my dog was completely capable in going for a long hike.



My question to dog owners is, would you go on a hike (or run) with your dog in any weather condition?

citation:
Nelson, Dan A. Best Hikes with Dogs Western Washington. Seattle, WA: Mountaineers, 2010. Print.

0 comments:

Post a Comment