Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

General Drawing: Using charcoal

Throughout this entire project, when I drew the drawings, all I used was a number two pencil. For my last post I decided to experiment with charcoal, to see what it'd be like to use other common tools for drawing. "Charcoal is perhaps the ideal means for studies of figures from life because it is very easy to control when shading and can also help achieve very clear details" (Civardi 193). From drawing just one picture, I noticed many major differences between charcoal and a number two pencil. One thing that bugged me was how charcoal is much less forgiving in the sense that if you don't like how you initially sketched something with it, it's much harder to completely erase it so it's a much harder commitment. One thing it made up for though was how much easier it was to shade and create similar or different tones. The charcoal tends to blend very nicely, but can easily create contrast as well by applying more or less pressure (Civardi 193). When I used a regular pencil, my individual strokes were much easier to spot. This was not the case with the charcoal. Other things I experimented with were drawing facial hair, more detailed ears and an open mouth with teeth showing.


Displaying IMG_1853.JPG

Even though I've only done five drawings, thanks to the book I've come very far. There are noticeable jumps in quality when looking at some of earlier posts, and comparing them to this final one. In the end, this was a very satisfying and interesting experience that gave me a taste of an activity I might have never tried.

My question for all of you is in what ways have you experimented with an activity and what was the result?

Giovanni, Civardi. Drawing, A Completle Guide. N.p.: Search, 2006.

0 comments:

Post a Comment