Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Japanese Cuisine- Nori Roll

Making sushi roll is one of the hardest food that I have made from this book. Many aspects of this food are challenging. From cutting all the ingredients to rolling the sushi together. Using Cucumbers are the easiest ingredient for sushi rolls (Dekura 93). Instead of using only cucumbers, I chose to challenge myself by using more ingredients. Since I have had a decent amount of culminating experience, I decided to improve my skills by giving myself a challenge. I took a recipe from my mom, which includes Cucumbers, Yellow radish, Crabmeat, Spam, fish sticks, rice, seaweed, and salad dressing. The main challenge of this recipe was cutting everything, but rolling it up was not as hard.

To start this Recipe I cut the Spam, Crabmeat, Yellow Radish, fish stick, and Cucumber into long strands. From my amount of experience, I could cut these ingredients without a struggle. However, from the amount I made, it took a long time. I cooked the rice while I was cutting the ingredients in order to save time. After the rice finished cooking, I “combined rice vinegar, sugar, salt” (Dekura 146). When I finished mixing the ingredients, I left the rice cooker open in order to cool off the rice.




When all the ingredients were finished, I took out my sushi mat (a bamboo mat) and laid it on the counter. According to Dekura, you should, “spread a handful of rice thinly over the nori without squashing it” (93). I used a water-vinegar solution to soak my hands, in order to avoid rice sticking on my hands. After getting all the ingredients onto the nori, I lifted the edge of the sushi mat and rolled up the sushi while pushing all the ingredients towards me (Dekura 93). Finally, when all the sushi is rolled up, I cut each piece by, “[cutting] it into halves, then fourths, then eighths” (Dekura 93).  






I'm extremely proud of my product, and I felt very accomplished after I finished doing everything. What foods have you been proud of making?


Dekura, Hideo, and Danny Kildare. Contemporary Japanese Cuisine: Classic Recipes, Fresh Flavors. New York: Weatherhill, 2001. Print.


0 comments:

Post a Comment