Pages

Monday, January 30, 2017

Swedish Pancakes

We made it! This is my last blog post! Since this is the last blog post, I though I would make a dessert. This recipe is Swedish Pancakes! Even though these are pancakes, they taste and act like crepes. According to the baker of this recipe, Susan Johnson, these pancakes are crepelike pancakes that are a little lighter than traditional pancakes (245). The difference between Swedish pancakes and crepes are that they're thinner and are made on a nonstick skillet which makes them easy to flip. This recipe makes about 20 eight-inch Swedish pancakes which is enough for multiple people depending on how many pancakes you want to give people.
The ingredients you'll need are:
  • 2 cups milk
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/4 tablespoon salt
  • Lingonberries or raspberries
  • Seedless raspberry jam or fruit spread, warmed
  • Whipped topping
Steps to make this dish:

1. "In a blender, combine first six ingredients. Cover and process until blended. Heat a lightly greased 8-in. nonstick skillet; pour 1/4 cup batter into center. Lift and tilt pan to evenly coat bottom. Cook until top appears dry; turn and cook 15-20 seconds longer" (Johnson 245).
     Tip: In order to get smooth Swedish pancakes, either sift the flour before you mix it with the other ingredients or strain the batter after all the ingredients are blended together.

Step 1 - Combine first six ingredients 
Straining the batter



Strained batter

Step 1 -  Pour 1/4 cup batter into center and evenly coat bottom of pan
Step 1 - Flip pancakes once top appears dry

2. "Repeat with remaining batter, adding oil to skillet as needed. Stack pancakes with waxed paper or paper towels in between. Reheat in the microwave if desired" (Johnson 245).

3. "Fold pancakes into quarters; serve with berries, raspberry jam and whipped topping" (Johnson 245).

Final Product
These crepes were incredibly delicious and was a type of dessert you could make in minutes! While making these I learned that when making Swedish pancakes or crepes you need to have a fast hand because once you pour the batter in the skillet, the pancakes start cooking right away. At first I didn't have a fast hand and made some not fully circular pancakes; but once you get into the mojo, your hands start working faster and your pancakes become more circular! Since this is the last blog, I hope that you guys try all the 5 recipes I've made in the past 3 months and make them better than I did since I've said some tips about all of them. Thanks for tuning in on my blogs!

Question:
What's your favorite dessert? What's your favorite toppings to put on your dessert? Have you ever tried crepes?

Citation:

Johnson, Susan. "Swedish Pancakes." The Taste of Home Cookbook: Best Loved Recipes from Home Cooks like You. Greendale, Wisc.: Reader's Digest, 2014. 245. Print.

4 comments:

  1. my favorite dessert would probably have yo be brownies, i don't really have a favorite topping and nope, I've never tried crepes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Geli! Brownies are so good and you should give crepes a try! Crepes are basically really thin pancakes with fruit and chocolate spread!

      Delete
    2. Like Geli said above, brownies have to be one of my favorite desserts. On mine I like it with ice cream, whipped cream and chocolate syrup because it's something we make with my little cousins. I find crepes delicious and I like that you added a little twist to it! My questions are, how long did this take to make? Would you make it again? What was your favorite one you've made?

      Delete
    3. Hey Gracie! To answer your question, making these crepes only took about 30 minutes because of how many crepes this recipe makes and how fast they cook. If anything, the most time consuming part about making this was mixing the batter (and that only takes about 5 minutes). And I would totally make these crepes again! If you're talking about recipe, my favorite recipe that I've made is the burritos because those tasted so good for something so basic. But if you're talking about crepe, I've only made these crepes once.

      Delete