Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Origami: Traditional Creations

For this blog, I decided to create an origami design that was designed and created a long time ago. "This creation has a long tradition, and their creators were surely imagiros" (Kasahara 31). Imagiro is a play on word of "origami" written backwards to mean a person with imagination and a friend (Kasahara 32). The traditional origami I decided to create was an origami whale. This design was simple and had basic steps to create it. I found it easy and was good for any beginner to learn with the origami crane. This design started with a different origami base called the fish base, which was simple, but I had to go back to the front of the book in order to learn this base.


As I created this design, I had learned a new concept of cutting. The Japanese word "to fold" could be pronounced differently to mean, "to cut" (Kasahara 30). I had to cut half of the whale's tail in order to create a huge difference in the design, making it look a lot better. It shows how even a little cut can have a huge impact on a design. Overall, this design has taught me its tradition and beauty behind it and a lot about cutting.


Question: Do you like to learn about traditional origami? Why or why not?

Kasahara, Kunihiko. Extreme Origami. New York: Sterling Pub., 2002. Print.

0 comments:

Post a Comment