Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Sign Language


Since the whole book Gallaudet Survival Guide To Signing is signs, it has been hard for me to come up with new things to show you that I haven't already done. So I have decided to sign all of the words in one of the lettered sections. So, since both my first and last name start with the letter E, I shall sign all the E's.

To do this I needed to first look at all of the words in the sections again and see if there were any words I didn't know. When first reading this book, I didn't know how to sign: each, early, egg, either and enough. In the sign language class I am in, we have not learned a lot of signs for different foods yet. The sign for egg really intrigued me! Lane explained it like so: "Both hands in H shape, palms facing at an angle. Strike left index finger with right middle finger, then quickly drop hands down and apart" (59). For me reading how to do a sign is harder to understand then visualizing the sign. I'm really glad that this book has a picture to go with every sign because once you read how to do the sign and see the picture it clicks in your mind.

Have both hands in A shape, palms facing in, then drag right thumb repetitively down left thumbs knuckles (Lane 62). This is how Lane described the word every/each. Like I have said in my other blogs I feel it is very important to try and describe how to sign a sign so you can understand how to do it better. If you do one thing differently it could turn into a totally different sign. Such as, correct and sister are very similar signs. The only difference between them is sister starts at the cheek while correct starts by the chest. 

So now I will sign my challenge to myself and sign all the E signs in the book: each, ear, early, easy, eat, egg, either, electric, elevator, empty, end, enjoy, enough, evening, everyday, example, excuse me, explain and eye.
What is the best way to learn and remember a sign?


0 comments:

Post a Comment