Pages

Monday, January 30, 2017

Sketching the Muscles and Joints

Hey guys, a little slacking on the posts. Anyway, last time I used the cylinder method to map out the limbs of my sketch, now i am moving onto connecting the shapes an making them look like muscles. further into Lee Garbetts book, shortly after mapping the body he talks about proportioning the body Garbett says: Your outline should be clear now, so either add that on top of your cylinder stage, erasing the lines you don't want...keep your drawing clean at this stage, with simple lines" (17).



So i adjusted the outline of my sketch to add more emotion, not much but a small amount, i had erased the lines that made the cylinders of my outline.

after reading more into this part of the book i learned to clean up my sketches, instead of cruising right through and not taking necessary steps and my sketch ending up looking like a giraffe with human arms. Now after i map out the limbs of the figure with cylindrical shapes and erasing the lines that I don't need the sketch looks much better than how i would have previously made it. Now that I'm done with the basic muscle outline of my sketch I'm going to move on to detailing the muscle further, but I'm curious to know what you guys do to draw the body of your characters or sketch, do you use Cylinders too? Are males or females easier for you? Comment and let me know what you prefer to do to draw figures.

2 comments:

  1. i think drawing a female is easier

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post as usual, and it really helped me reestablish my own learned techniques due to seeing others use the same ones. It lets me know that I'm on the right path in terms of art. To answer your question, I also use cylinders while sketching characters as it makes the whole process a lot easier and paves the path towards a visually appealing figure. Next, males are definitely easier to draw for me as with males you can get away with more of a rounded build, whereas with females you really have ti be careful with the construction of the limbs. Overall, great post and keep it up.

    ReplyDelete