Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

"My Fault"

Taking ownership decreases the amount of problems and complications that could arise if someone were to not take ownership. In Stuff Good Players Should Know, Dick DeVenzio talks about getting into the habit of taking the blame yourself when a mistake is made involving you and another teammate. By owning up to mistakes, it makes everyone feel better and it won't anger others.

DeVenzio explains that, there are too many times in a game where one makes a mistake and they happen to blame it on the other person, which leads to both of the players to be angry at each other and hardly prepared to work together to stop the other team from scoring. It is an immensely different feeling when one makes a mistake and takes ownership for the mistake and the other person takes the blame as well. When both players own up to the mistake, it makes the both of them determined to do better next time, pass better, and are prepared to play a good team defense in the meantime (DeVenzio 168). Taking the blame makes the court more of a positive environment to play in. If people are always negative, it won't do the team any good.



After reading about taking the blame, I realized that I should take ownership more often. So, I started to apologize to teammates if a mistake happens that involves me, and it didn't anger anyone. "This kind of attitude, of taking the blame yourself, does wonders for team morale and will help you win games" (DeVenzio 168). The author informs the readers that having a positive attitude will help you win games and will decrease the tension between teammates. Examples of taking ownership on the court are, "Sorry, bad pass," "My fault," etc. The list goes on. 

Overall, taking ownership is better than blaming others. It helps people learn from the mistake and move on. 

Do you take ownership in your mistakes? Why or why not?

DeVenzio, Dick. Stuff Good Players Should Know: Intelligent Basketball from A to Z. 3rd ed. Stafford, TX: PGC Basketball, 1983. Print.

4 comments:

  1. I think this was a very good blog because it is something that a lot of young players need to learn to do. I've learned over time that when playing sports it is a lot easier to take responsibility for something instead of arguing with the coach or even your teammates. I 100% agree with your blog and think it is something very important that young athletes need to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to take ownership in my mistakes, especially in basketball. In sports, it isn't hard to tell whose fault it was, and you should always apologize when you do something wrong, not try to pin it on someone else.If you don't own up to it, it just causes problems and drama which isn't needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tiffani, i was looking at your blog and i really like the points your are trying to make, but i have a question. what if its entirely their fault and you had nothing remotely to do with it, then is it okay to blame others? i also 101% agree with all of your blog posts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tiffani, I would like to say I totally agree with your blog about ownership on the court. When i used to play basketball I would always try my best to own up to my mistakes and keep a positive attitude. Also I can confirm that saying "Sorry my bad" will lead to less tension between teammates.

    ReplyDelete