Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

The Torso

The final piece of the series before I finally draw the whole body: the torso. The base of the body, where everything comes back to. Though not the most acknowledged region of the body, it's the most vital one.

Torsos are perhaps the most diverse region of the body among humans, coming in all shapes, sizes, and variations. The general torso for a male is built and muscular, yet not overly buff, and the general torso for a female is slim but curvy. Though these are not the builds most typical people possess, they're most commonly seen in drawings, which is what I'll be using.

I'll be drawing both a female torso, from the shoulders to the pelvis. The main reason I'm drawing a female torso is because the end product, a whole-body sketch, will be of a female, as I just personally find females easier to draw.


Here I'm just starting with a basic outline, specifically the shoulders and general torso area, as well as marking out where the chest ends in order to accurately shade it. Bridgman explains how "the masses of the torse are the chest, the abdomen or pelvis, and between them the epigastrium" (Bridgman 111). These are the three areas that will be concentrated on in the drawing!

I didn't use construction lines in this drawing, as I was rather scatterbrained and just started sketching from the photo. However, if I were to redo this drawing, I'd most definitely try to use construction lines, as I'm sure it would've given me and easier time proportioning the torso.


I added some slight alterations, but you can clearly see how this looks more realistic than just leaving lines on it. The drawing seems simple, but when just sketching (especially when you're learning how to sketch something), Bridgman strongly recommends that it's best to not overcomplicate it, and to gain a strong understanding of the basics before proceeding to add the microscopic details (Bridgman 65).

I didn't pay too much attention to the arms since that isn't our focus, and just tried to get the arms to look vaguely proportional to the torso. Another important tip is that the elbow generally will line up with the belly button, which will be helpful in my next blog post!

Have you ever had a situation where you overcomplicated something? Is it better to start out in slow steps or just dive right in?

Bridgman, George. Constructive Anatomy. New York: Sterling Publishing Co., 2016. Print.

1 comments:

  1. Hi Emily! TO answer your question yes I have been in situations where I overcomplicated what I was drawing, usually I just dive right in with my drawings, and don't use much technique. I believe in these situations that starting out in slow steps will usually be the superior method. I have not read your other posts, so I have a question, will you be drawing an animated character? Or a realistic drawing? You are very talented!

    ReplyDelete