Pages

Sunday, January 29, 2017

Sweet and Crunchy Green Beans

Vegetables were the worst nightmare of many of us when we were younger. Now a lot of us have learned to like/love certain ones. One vegetable I never learned to like, until I made this new dish, was green beans. My dish today is 'Sweet and Crunchy Green Beans'. What I love about this dish, and adds for a lot more flavor, is bacon.

               This specific recipe by Juli Bauer, author of Paleo Cookbook, calls for thick cut bacon (Bauer 198), but seeing as I did not have thick cut, I used regular cut and it turned out delicious. This was overall a very fun dish to cook because I loved sautéing the onions and making the bacon in order to mix it with the green beans. The key ingredient in this recipe was to “leave 3 tablespoons of bacon fat in the pan” (Bauer 198) because it allowed for that bacon flavor to soak into the green beans. It may sound like too much bacon, but the fat combined with the onion, does not make give the green beans an overpowering bacon flavor.

               Once the green bean mixture of green beans, onions, and bacon was completely done and cooked, the recipe calls for Almond slices (Bauer 198) to be sprinkled on top. As you can see in the picture to the left, I did not do that, but if you ever make this dish you certainly can. I would definitely recommend this dish to anybody who is looking for a slightly sweet and savory vegetable dish. I made this to be on the side of a steak dish, but it would be good for most any meal.



What are your favorite vegetables? What types of dishes do you pair them with?



Bauer, Juli, Bill Staley, and Hayley Mason. Juli Bauer's Paleo Cookbook: Over 100 Gluten-free Recipes to Help You Shine from within. Las Vegas: Victory Belt, 2015. Print.

2 comments:

  1. I also don’t really like green beans, but the green beans you made look really good. I think I might try this recipe out one day, because the green beans seem like they would be super delicious especially with the bacon. But I don’t think I would add the almonds either, just because I don’t really like them. To answer your question, one of my favorite vegetables is a potato, and I usually make baked or mashed potatoes paired with barbeque chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sidney! Your blog post about green beans caught my eye because green beans is one of my favorite vegetables! The green beans dish that you made looks amazing! Other than green beans, my favorite vegetables that I'll want to eat are broccoli, tomatoes (if you count that as a vegetable), carrots, and corn :) Those are my go-to vegetables that I would eat as a side to almost any dish.

    ReplyDelete