Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Breaking the Rules!


“It’s a new era in fashion, there are no rules. It’s all about the individual personal style.” –Alexander McQueen
            Having a unique sense of style is what sets everyone’s dressing sense apart. Style is one thing that allows me to express myself freely. I do not follow any fashion “rules” that are set when I plan my outfits. Everywhere you look, there are rules. No U-turns. No personal calls at work. No running near the pool. Relatively, in the fashion industry there are many “rules” for how to dress and style an outfit. Luckily, fashion is all about breaking the rules!

           Some of most common fashion “don’ts” that are actually “dos” that Vazquez includes are: Don’t wear white after Labor Day/before Easter, don’t match your makeup to your outfit, don’t wear bright colors or pastels in the winter, don’t wear print from head to toe, don’t mix different styles, don’t wear brocade, lace, or sparkles in the daytime, don’t mix black and blue, don’t mix black and brown don’t wear pink if you’re a redhead and don’t wear two different shades of the same color (296-298).

          These “rules” are worthless if an individual knows how to work with them. I dislike almost all of the rules that are mentioned above. Vazquez also expresses, “…we learn a number of “rules” for how to dress that simply don’t make sense in this day and age-and some that never did!” (296).

          The fashion rule I chose to break is that last one: don’t wear two different shades of the same color. In this outfit, I chose the color blue to negate this statement. My outfit consists of the shirt as being a baby blue color along with jeans that are dark blue, pairing both of those with a light electric blue pair of shoes, as the author recommended to blend different tones of the same shade for a rich, polished finish (Vazquez 298).









Out of these fashion “rules” which one would you break first? Which ones would you prefer not to break?

Vazquez, Lilliana. The Cheap Chica's Guide to Style. New York: Penguin Group, 2013. Print.


1 comments:

  1. Your blogs are so inspiring! I love the new ideas you embody through your pursuit of fashion. Although, I would prefer not to break the mis- matching makeup and outfit. I find that if I go along with the same color scheme on my face as with my clothes, i look more ornate. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete