Pages

Sunday, January 29, 2017

Leftover Egg Yolks







Macaron crusts are made from egg whites, which means that all of the egg yolks are left unused. Hisako Ogita gives out numerous easy-to-make desserts using the leftover egg yolks in her book, one of them being vanilla pudding! This recipe is great because it prevents you from wasting food and is very easy to make. The rich and creamy taste is also loved by both kids and adults!

Ingredients: 
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 1/8 cup (30 grams) granulated sugar
  • 6 tablespoons (100 cc) whipping cream
  • 6 tablespoons (100 cc) milk
  • 1 vanilla bean
Steps:
First, I put the egg yolks that I didn't use from my previous macarons into a bowl along with the granulated sugar. Hisako Ogita then says to "stir until the mixture begins to lighten in color" (75). This helped to tell when to stop and move on to the next step, which was to add the whipping cream and milk while stirring once again (Ogita 75).

Displaying IMG_9441.JPG
Displaying IMG_9440.JPG

















Once I was done stirring, Ogita says to distribute the liqueur evenly into separate pudding molds. (75). However, I didn't have any pudding molds at the time, so instead, I distributed the mixture into a muffin pan and baked for 40 minutes  300 degrees Farenheit.

Displaying IMG_9444.JPGDisplaying IMG_9445.JPG

















In the end, the pudding tasted delicious! The only different thing I'd do next is to double the recipe because the pudding had disappeared into my families stomachs in less than an hour, which was also shows how good they tasted. This was probably the easiest recipe I've ever done and it was also efficient because it required the unused egg yolks from the macaron egg whites, providing two deserts in one go!
Displaying IMG_9447.JPG

Q: What's the easiest thing you've ever baked?

Ogita, Hisako. I Macarons. San Francisco: Chronicle, 2009. Print.

0 comments:

Post a Comment