Pages

Sunday, January 29, 2017

Garlic and Steak

Garlic. Garlic is my absolute favorite spice/herb/vegetable. I try to use it in most of my foods if it is appropriate to include it. I love the smell of it, the look of it, the smell of it, pretty much every aspect of it. So for my dish today, I really wanted to do a more everyday Paleo food, that obviously included Garlic. I made 'Steak Frites with Herb Garlic Roasted Butter'.

               The nice thing about this dish is that it is naturally Paleo, so you don’t have to go specialty shopping for different flours or any other non-common ingredients. Most of us have probably previously eaten some form of steak so it’s not a super weird or unusual food.

               Steak is steak, but the key aspect to make this a delicious dish, is the Herb Garlic Roasted Butter. To successfully make this garlic butter, I needed to roast some garlic. Juli Bauer, author of Paleo Cookbook, gave a tip on how to roast the garlic butter: she said, “Cut ¼ inch off the end of the bulb to expose the cloves inside” (114). I, while making this recipe, accidentally overlooked that step, and did not do it. However after I roasted the garlic for 30 minutes in a 400 degree oven (Bauer 114), it came out just fine and perfectly roasted. Some of you might think, ‘Why not use powered garlic?’, well that’s because you get a more authentic and rich garlic flavor if you roast it.


               After my steak was coated with a simple dry rub made of several spices, it went on the grill. Since I’m far from able to cook a steak well, I had a bit of help from my step-dad, my house’s grill master. The picture to the right shows the final product of the steak, along with a dollop of the garlic butter on top.


What is your favorite spice to either eat or cook with? Do you like steak? Did you know you were eating something naturally Paleo?




Bauer, Juli, Bill Staley, and Hayley Mason. Juli Bauer's Paleo Cookbook: Over 100 Gluten-free Recipes to Help You Shine from within. Las Vegas: Victory Belt, 2015. Print.

2 comments:

  1. With my steak I usually like to add herbs like rosemary, oregano, and then the usual salt and pepper. But I've never seen a steak with garlic added for flavor, I'll have to try this recipe one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janice! Rosemary, oregano, salt, and pepper are definitely great spices to put on steak. You should totally try garlic on one sometime :) You won't regret it

      Delete