Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Bullet Passes vs. Lobs and Bounce Passes

          Passing is one of the most important parts of basketball. If you had a team with people who couldn't pass, you wouldn't be able to score and definitely wouldn't win a game.  There are different passes used for different situations that DeVenzio explains in STUFF Good Players Should Know.

          "Everyone knows that bounce passes are good passes to throw inside to a man posting up, or to a cutter going back door, or perhaps on a 2-on-1 fast break, but a lot of players don't seem to realize that a bounce on the perimeter is a careless pass.  It takes longer to arrive and, therefore gives a defender a better chance for an interception" (DeVenzio 48). In games, I try to pass to the posts in the paint a lot, but didn't use bounce passes. When I started using bounce passes instead of bullet passes, it was harder for the defense to steal the ball and my team was able to score. Even though bullet passes work, I think bounce passes are a better option, especially when used with a ball fake.


Displaying 20170130_202854.jpgDisplaying 20170130_202910_001.jpg

       
     
       Although Lobs are great for a back door cut,  they are not a good pass on the perimeter with no defender in between you. If there is no defender, always use a bullet pass. Lobs and Bounce passes are only used to throw under or over people (DeVenzio 48-49). I tend to turnover the ball when I lob the ball to my teammate, because it is a lot slower than a bullet pass and the defense is able to steal it. With bullet passes, the ball gets passed faster, and the person receiving the ball has more options. When I get a bullet pass, the ball is already in my shooting pocket, rather than getting a lob and not being prepared to shoot. After reading this portion of Stuff Good Players Should Know, I realized that I should always use bullet passes unless I am throwing a back door cut, or passing it into the posts.

How is passing important in other sports? What passes do you use in different situations?

DeVenzio, Dick. Stuff Good Players Should Know: Intelligent Basketball from A to Z. Victoria, TX: PGC Basketball, 2014. Print.

0 comments:

Post a Comment