Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Apple & Kale Smoothie Bowl

Good health begins with breakfast

Breakfast is no longer the regular and boring breakfast as we knew it. In Kate Turner's book, Superfood Breakfasts, a fun variety of breakfast recipes are provided, some of my favorites being smoothie bowl recipes. For the past few weeks, I have eaten these healthy breakfast recipes and have genuinely felt more energized throughout the school day, so I highly recommend trying the smoothie recipes that I have provided on my blog. To talk about the apple and kale smoothie bowl recipe itself, this recipe is my favorite smoothie bowl recipe in Kate Turner's book. I really love how fresh everythign tastes together and how the kale isn't overpowering in the smoothie.

Turner describes as the apple and kale smoothie as being "Almost off the charts where nutrients are concerned, kale is an obvious choice for a smoothie" (Turner 32). She also notes that if you don't like the taste of kale, don't worry too much because the apple is what's most tasteable (Turner 32).


Ingredients
Serves 2
2 cups coarsely chopped curly kale (large stems discarded)
3/4 cup chopped apple (skin on!)
1/3 cup avocado cubes
1 cup alfalfa sprouts
1 large frozen banana
1 cup frozen strawberries
2/3 cup almond milk
1 tbsp. moringa powder (optional)
raw honey, to taste
Toppings
2 tbsp. blueberries
1 tbsp. sesame seeds
1 tbsp. pomegranate seeds
3 tbsp. finely diced apple (skin on)
2 1/2 tbsp. raspberries
1 tbsp. sunflower seeds
Modified recipe
Ingredients
2 cups of kale (I just bought a box of organic baby kale)
1/2 of an apple (skin on- much easier than peeling off and you can't taste the skin anyways)
1/2 of an avocado (doesn't need to be in cubes w/ a ripe avocado)
1 large banana (Is better frozen to make the smoothie thick, don't have to put banana- overpowering and tastes good without it)
2 or 3 cups of mixed frozen mixed berries (Dole brand has a nice mixed berry blend, comes with: strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries and pomegranate)
1 cup of watermelon juice (The juice isn't overpowering and tastes yummy in the smoothie)
2 tbsp. of Greek yogurt (I used the Chobani strawberry greek yogurt, any kind works though)
Toppings
Blueberries
Raspberries
Apples
Sunflower seeds
Tip: To make the smoothie thick instead of watery, add the suggested frozen fruit or any frozen fruit.

Questions: What's your favorite smoothie? Do you like kale?






2 comments:

  1. I find this great! I really like berries and apples so I might try this out! My favorite smoothie is banana and strawberries! I haven't tried kale so I couldn't judge it! My questions are, how many servings did this make? Was this something that you could refrigerate and have later in the day as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite type of smoothie is mango, this one looks really good as well and I might try it out sometime. No i'm not really a fan of kale although I have tried it in smoothies and they taste alright.

    ReplyDelete