Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

The Use of One Dribble

          Many basketball players try to show off with impressive dribbling skills, like dribbling the ball behind the back or in between the legs as much as they can. But showing off doesn't always help you score and doesn't help  win important games.  In STUFF Good Players Should Know, DeVenzio  stresses that you only need one dribble to make a great play; too many dribbles cause turn overs because it gives the defense time to get in position to steal the ball (76).  Throughout my basketball career, I've noticed that the higher level I play at, the harder it is to dribble through other players. Even with different moves, better players can steal the ball if I dribble too much. Using one dribble to get to the basket or to shoot the ball made it so I can get an easier pass or a better shot, so the defense couldn't recover.  To get used to staying low and pounding the ball so I can get farther with one dribble, I do dribbling drills with weighted gloves, shown in the picture below.

Displaying 20170130_205348.jpg


        Another asset of using one dribble is that it is a lot faster, and the defense doesn't expect it.  "One dribble is explosive, and one dribble does not signal the defense. By the time the defenders see a need to alter position, you are already shooting"(DeVenzio 75).  This tip has helped me get the the hoop more often. When I use one dribble, the defender reacts after I get by them, so they are already behind me by the time I get to the basket. When I use more than one dribble, the defender is able tip the ball from behind me, because they have more time to recover.  If you play basketball, try this in practice, or at the gym during a pick-up game. I guarantee that you 'll be able to get to the basket easier, rather than trying to dribble too much around the defender. 

What are some other ways to get by your defender in other sports? What are some other ways to get to the basket?

DeVenzio, Dick. Stuff Good Players Should Know: Intelligent Basketball from A to Z. Victoria, TX: PGC Basketball, 2014. Print.

0 comments:

Post a Comment