Pages

Sunday, January 29, 2017

Chow Mein - use steam, not oil!

A very common way to make Chow Mein is to heat oil on the stove and then cook everything hot and fast. But if you're looking to have a better-tasting, better textured dish, cook the chow mein at a medium pace and use water to steam the vegetables and noodles. When everything is ready to be added into the pan, turn the heat up to medium high and add ingredients. Add 1/4 cup of water and cover the pan with a lid. Let the water completely evaporate. After all the water is gone, take the lid off, stir the contents and season with preferred spices. Most Chow Mein recipes call for you to "prod a vegetable with a wooden steak" and this is a good idea because it shows you how well or how poorly your vegetables are cooked. Since noodles are basically done after you boil them, the vegetables being crisp and thoroughly cooked is crucial to the quality of the dish.

Have you ever served food to someone that wasn't cooked 100% thoroughly? How can you make sure that doesn't happen again?



1 comments:

  1. Aiden, The advice you gave about cooking chew main it going to help me a lot when I try cooking chow mien. At home, I usually just buy microwave chow Mein from trader Joes because I never really understood how to make it. Chow Mein is my absolute favorite food and I am so glad you made a blog about it. To answer your question, I have definitely cooked food a couple of times where it was not 100% cooked all the way. One of the times I was in cooking class at school and we had to make stir fry, which is very similar to chow Mein, my teacher barley gave any time to cook therefore ours came out uncooked because we ran out of time. Another time I have served food undercooked was I was absolutely starving and I could not wait any longer for my food to finish, so I just took the pasta off the stove early. When I ate it, some of the pasta was still hard and crunchy. Too make sure this doesn’t happen again I need to listen to directions and make sure I cook it for the right amount of time, or maybe taste the food before I stop cooking it to make sure it tastes right.

    ReplyDelete