Pages

Monday, January 30, 2017

Shortbread: Good Enough?

After my success with the brownies I decided not to press my luck and just make some shortbread. The recipe in Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Jennifer Darling only has three ingredients "1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, 1/2 cup butter" (120). I thought this would be simple and for the most part it was. I started out with gathering the three ingredients I would need. Next I mixed flour and sugar and then cut in the butter (Darling 120). Then the recipe said to make it into a ball and then knead it until it is smooth. After that I rolled it out until it was 8 inches in diameter. The recipe then called for me to use my finger to make scalloped edges.

 After that I then cut the dough into 16 pieces and then put in the oven, which was set to 325 degrees, for 30 minutes just as the recipe asked for. Once 30 minutes had passed I checked to see that the center had set and it had. I took the shortbread out of the oven and set it on a trivet to cool. After 5 minutes I moved it to a cooling rack to finish cooling. After it had finished cooling I ate it both plain and with some frosting and I didn't like it either way. I was super crumbly and bland which I suppose is what shortbread is and I just wasn't a fan of it. Even though I made the recipe correctly I didn't like the taste or the texture of it.

Do you like shortbread? If so, how do you like to eat it?

Darling, Jennifer. Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book. Des Moines, IA: Meredith, 1989. Print.

4 comments:

  1. to be realty honest I've never had shortbread but i'm sure it's good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first time making and eating shortbread and it might be good to some people but I wanted more flavor from it and a different texture.

      Delete
  2. Hi Katelyn! Your shortbread looks so good! To answer your question, I Love shortbread, I love shortbread because they taste like cakes, but not as thick and sweet. I usually eat Shortbread with caramel! The 2 of them together creates magic! You should definitely try it when caramel sometimes! Besides shortbread, what are some of your favorite desserts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lam, I'll keep trying it with caramel in mind. Some of my favorite desserts are cookies, brownies, and cupcakes!

      Delete