Pages

Monday, January 25, 2016

SAT Writing and Language Test: Improving Paragraphs

In my previous post I took the SAT Writing and Language Test and did not get full points. To learn from my mistakes I'm doing test corrections where I'm finding that most of my incorrect answers are about improving paragraphs. So without further ado, let's see how I can apply Mike Barrett's strategies to find the actual answers to the questions I missed!

I did my test corrections on a laptop.

One question that I answered wrong was Question 2. This question basically asked me to add a relevant detail to the paragraph. I had chosen D) which elaborated on only one example. However I was incorrect as I forgot Barrett saying that you, "Add sentences that restate ideas in the paragraph and contribute the fewest new concepts" (287). The correct answer would've been B) since it gives two example which would coincide with an idea previously stated that acid whey is used by famers in many ways.
Food supplement and alternative energy is two examples that a farmer could use acid whey for; therefore B) is correct.




Another question I answered wrong was Question 22. This question asked me to reorder a sentence within a paragraph. I had chosen to not change the sentence placement (A) but this was incorrect as I didn't carefully look at all the details. The SAT Prep Black Book: The Most Effective SAT Strategies Ever Published stated that questions about getting the author's message across should be answered by looking directly at the text with no interpretation; the same solving strategy for the SAT Reading Test (Barrett 277). Looking back, D) would've been the correct answer because the sentence that needed moving refers to "crucial information," but you wouldn't know what information it talks about unless the sentence was after sentence 5.




Correcting my answers with the SAT Prep Black Book: The Most Effective SAT Strategies Ever Published  really helped me understand what the SAT is looking for on the Writing and Language Test for improving paragraphs.


When else in your life have you had to improve paragraphs? Do you think these strategies would still apply then?


Barrett, Mike. SAT Prep Black Book: The Most Effective Strategies Ever Published. San Bernardino: M. Barrett, 2013. Print.  

1 comments:

  1. This is a really great idea! In my experience the best thing to do is to make sure I have read the question though twice before selecting an answer. This way I can catch any pieces of the question I may have missed the 1st time. I think these strategies are transferable between a variety of different subjects. Your tip helped me write my letter to my great aunt in Germany! Edward Swick, the author of my book, wrote "practice, practice, practice" which you are definitely proving is effective:)

    ReplyDelete