Pages

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Second shot at Dry Flies

In my last post, I talked about one of my first experiences with tying dry flies. This time I'll be telling you about my second dry fly which I added rubber legs. This dry fly wasn't my greatest fly of all time because of my choice to use black thread on a pink body. But the cool thing about this fly was the fact that I added rubber legs. This fly is intended for the species called Steelhead Trout, which is a trout that has traveled to the ocean and back and is considered a salmon. 

In the book "Essential Trout Flies" by David Hughes, on page 59 he talks about how you should add your own variations to compensate what you need out on the field. The reason why I'm using bright pink is for the ability to catch Steelhead Trout during the spawning season for trout and or salmon. Hughes also talks about adding the addition of rubber legs, even though it makes the fly lose its resemblance to natural insects, but we're after trout who have a brain the size of a pea. Hughes goes on about how you need to tie your fly in the eyes of a trout.


If I ever went back and tried to tie this fly again, I would make my thread look a lot neater. It looks like if a spider web was black and someone walked through it and broke it.

Even though I made the mistake of not using red or pink thread to tie the fly it still can work for fishing with. Just like Hughes was talking about, you're fishing for a species that has a brain the size of a pea. Also if you look at the "wonderful" fly I just made you can look at it and see plenty of things. You see a row of eggs, a pink fly, and a pink fly with water legs. I had a lot of fun tying this fly because of having a chance to bring in a new aspect of fly tying, adding rubber legs.

Tying flies helps me out in the real world by making me become more patient with things and give me the ability to sit down and work things out. It also makes me calmer because I can just sit down and recreate insects that I've seen out in nature. Also it give me the ability to go outside and explore nature to find out about more insects and what insect fish are going after the most. 

For anyone out there that has ever tied flies, what's your favorite one to tie?

0 comments:

Post a Comment