Pages

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Make your Drivetrain Bulletproof

Most RC's come stock with plastic parts for their axles, drive-shafts, gears, and wheel hexes. And if your like me and have an RC that can do 60+MPH (my traxxas summit) and shred parts you will want to have metal drivetrain parts. Metal parts are extremely expensive but well worth it in the end. I have yet to buy aluminum parts for the summit, but I do have metal driveshaft's in the slash, and all metal gears in my deadbolt.

Why aluminum parts?

As sated in my book, "A sure-fire way to avoid any failures is to replace the stock plastic gears with ones made out of aluminum or steel". (Radio Control Car Action 26) Aluminum is a lot stronger than plastic (no duh its a metal!), and yes aluminum parts cost a pretty penny but its definitely worth it. The reason for aluminum parts is because if you have an rc that produces a large amount of torque it will, if you have splined axles or driveshaft's, just twist the plastic like a piece of liquorish or snap them. And if you have plastic gears they will get flat spots where the teeth are ground off and therefore will not spin. (I have stripped many gears although I never thought about taking pictures of them so I don't have any pictures of stripped gears.)



My question for you-

What are your thoughts on metal parts? Have they been useful or a pain?

RC Car Action. Your Ultimate Off-road Guide. N.p.: Radio Control Car Action,
     n.d. Print. Radio Control Car Action.


0 comments:

Post a Comment