Pages

Monday, January 25, 2016

Red and Yellow Heaven

Finally, the time has come. Time to make my favorite pie. In my eyes, this pie is and always will be the best pie the world has ever had the privilege to hold. I am of course talking of the banana cream pie. This is actually a variation of the banana cream pie, I am adding strawberries as well. Luckily, my favorite book when it comes to baking pies, A Year of Pies, A Seasonal Tour of Home Baked Pies, had a recipe that provided the necessary instructions. I began by gathering my materials.
  • "1 Pie crust
  • 5 Egg Yolks
  • 1  cup of evaporated milk
  • 1 1/2 cups of milk
  • 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp of Sugar
  • 1/4 cup of corn starch
  • 1/8 tsp of salt
  • 1 vanilla bean
  • 2 bananas
  • 8 fresh strawberries" (English 87)
  • The beginning of baking this may seem extremely similar to the vanilla cream pie that I made, but that is because it is essentially the same recipe, you just add bananas and strawberries. That being said, I extracted the yolks from the eggs, 

    Me extracting the yolks from the eggs
    and stirred the sugar, corn starch, and salt together. Then I mixed them together with the milk and the evaporated milk, and added the vanilla bean. I cooked that until it was thick, and while this was happening, I baked the pie crust. Afterwards, I sliced up the bananas and the strawberries, and layered it in the pie crust in a checker pattern (English 87) along with the cream mixture. 
    Me layering the strawberries and bananas.
    I did that until the pie was full of bananas, strawberries, and cream.
    Finished pie
    I believe that this is the end of my journey. It has been a fun one and I have learned a lot about baking along the way. I couldn't have done it without the help of  A Year of Pies, A Seasonal Tour of Home Baked Pies by Ashley English. This pie was by far my favorite, not just to eat, but to make as well. Layering the strawberries and bananas was the best part. what is your favorite part of making a pie, or baking in general?

    English, Ashley. A Year of Pies. New York: Lark Crafts, 2012. Print. 

    3 comments:

    1. This looks really good! My favorite part of baking/cooking is just being able to take the time to try and perfect what you're making, and seeing the outcome of what you worked so hard on.

      ReplyDelete
    2. That looks incredible, by favorite part about making a pie is when you make a hand made crust and everything ends up perfect at the end.

      ReplyDelete
    3. That looks like an excellent pie! My favorite part of making a pie is making the dough, it creates a great deed of satisfaction when you roll out the perfect crust. I bet you know that feeling. Your pie looks great and I bet it was delicious.

      ReplyDelete