Pages

Sunday, January 24, 2016


Woodland Garden- Sunflowers

        Welcome back, bloggers. Today I’m going to talk about the sunflowers that I grew. Last time on the blog I talked about the steps it takes to plant an Ipomoea flower in the woodland garden. When I went to go look at my woodland garden, to check on the ipomoea flowers I noticed how it seem to have little to no color, and there was no sun, so I thought why not plant a sunflower to make the forest have color. While reading Designing and Planting a Woodland Garden, Keith Wiley, the author, had informed me of how there needs to be many trees around the woodland garden, “In addition to land forming, the most obvious way to create good conditions for woodland plants to plant some trees”(48). Since there are trees around my woodland garden, it would be best to have some more, you can never have enough trees, so I wanted to change where I had planted the sunflowers this time, I know that its best to have all your flowers together but I wanted the flowers to be very spread out but, I also want it to be surrounded by trees to still have that effect of being a woodland garden. Wiley says that it's challenging "In the open garden, raised beds are really the best place to grow desirable but difficult woodland treasures, and they offer the advantage of bringing the plant to closer view”(36). It can be a challenge when it comes to spreading out the flowers it can be a challenge, however, I feel that it's the best way for me to grow my woodland garden. What I needed to plant the sunflowers wasn’t much and basically the same thing as the last blog all that changed was that the Ipomoea flower seeds changed to Sunflower seeds. It was really different planting the sunflowers away from the Ipomoea flowers but it was great decision because in the future I want the flowers and other types of plant to bloom in instead of growing out so that it's more interesting looking.




What type a flower brightens your day?

Wiley, Keith. Designing and Planting a Woodland Garden. London: Timber Press, 2014. Print.

0 comments:

Post a Comment