Pages

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Gardening Ipomoea


Hello everyone!  Last time on the blog I said that I would be telling you guys how to make a woodland garden; the first plant that I chose to use in my woodland garden would be an ipomoea. I chose to use an ipomoea flower because I really love how breathtaking the color and the flower is. It’s best to use variety of flowers in the woodland garden, and Keith Wiley also agrees because in Designing and Planting a Woodland Garden it says “the fact that woodlands vary so much in the wild with a correspondingly large range of plants suited to this diversity suggests there are solutions for every home garden”(90). I found out that this plant would be great for the woodland garden because I need a lot of diversity in this garden to make it even more like an actual garden. 
Materials:
  1. Flower seeds (ipomoea)
  2. Shovel
  3. Watering can
  4. Rake
  5. Gloves
  6. Plant label/stake
        Wiley believes that the woodland garden needs really good soil to help the plants grow well (23). The First thing to do is find a nice area where it’s shaded and surrounded by lots of trees. Using your shovel dig the dirt to make a little hole. Add in about 2-3 seeds (depends on whatever amount you want). Cover the seeds with the dirt you dug before and pat the dirt. Lastly add a moderate amount of water on top. The first flower that was used in my woodland garden is an Ipomoea flower, and I believe that for my first gardening experience it was a success because it didn’t feel different from creating a normal garden. Even though the flower didn’t bloom yet, I know that it will be well taken care of so that it lives well.

If you had to choose a flower to plant what would it be?

Wiley, Keith. Designing and Planting a Woodland Garden. London: Timber Press, 2014. Print.

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment