Pages

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Corn Dogs

How could I go through On a Stick! without making the most "quintessential food on a stick" (48)? A corn dog! So of course, as my last blog I'm finishing off with a classic. Starting with the ingredients:
  • 4 wooden sticks
  • 1 qt. vegetable oil
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup cornmeal
  • 2 tbsp. sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/8 tsp. black pepper
  • 3/4 cup whole milk
  • 1 egg
  • 4 jumbo hotdogs
  • ketchup and yellow mustard, for serving
In contrast to the long list of ingredients, there was a very minimal amount of simple steps. Start with preheated the oil in a large, heavy pot on medium high. Then mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pepper in a bowl and whisk in the milk and the egg gently until everything is fully combined. And there, you already have the corn part of the corn dog (48)! Once the oil is heated, put the hotdogs on sticks and drench them into the batter so they're coated completely.

Fry 2 at a time for 4-5 minutes and then came only challenging part of this recipe: getting the hotdogs out of the oil. I struggled at first, trying different utensils to carry it out, but I figured out the one that works the best is the large, plastic, pasta straining spoon. There was only enough batter for 4 hot dogs, so after about 10 minutes they were all ready to go! And definitely served best warm with ketchup and mustard. Overall these home-made corn dogs were pretty good, but I don't really know if I'd make them again. They tasted  similar to just the frozen ones that you warm up in the microwave. But it was a nice, simple, and delicious way to finish off my last blog!




It seems like a lot of people don't, but do you eat corndogs with mustard?


Armendariz, Matt. On a Stick! Philadelphia, PA: Quirk, 2011. Print.

1 comments:

  1. I don't eat hotdogs with mustard, just piled on ketchup... but if I tried your corn dogs I bet they would taste great with mustard ;) I'll give this recipe a try some time soon it looks so good. I never thought you could make this type of food at home!

    ReplyDelete