Pages

Monday, January 25, 2016

Different styles of sketching

While drawing shapes, structures, planes, and cars, the author introduces many different styles of sketching and illustrating these objects. With the limited materials and utensils I have, I tried to mimic and use the different styles of drawing that was introduced in the book. Each style can give the drawing a different mood which will be useful when you want to go for a certain feeling in your art.
I chose a ship from star wars to try the different styles by quickly sketching them using the different pens and pencils.



Original
Ballpoint Pen
Brush Pen


Pencil
The quick sketches I did of the ship isn't very magnificent because I just wanted to demonstrate how different each pen/pencil looked. Robertson and Bertling gives suggestions on how to use each of the tools for drawing. While using ballpoint pens, using paper that has a rough surface helps the ink come to life (190). Pencils easily smear but you can use this to your advantage by having accurate gradients (192). Finally, Brush pens make it possible to draw thin and thick lines in black ink (197). Robertson and Bertling expresses how "Using this pen will force the development of a lighter touch" since it is quite difficult to use (197). As a beginner, using the brush pen was the hardest for me and as you can see, the drawing is not very attractive. Continuing to practice will be very important if I want to draw more attractive objects.


What kind of drawing style do you use? Do you use more than one?


Robertson, Scott, and Thomas Bertling. How to Draw: Drawing and Sketching Objects and Environments from Your Imagination. CA: Design Studio, 2013. Print.

1 comments:

  1. I have used both pencil and ballpoint pen in my drawings. I'm usually able to make a more realistic drawing with pencil since it can create a wider range of shades than a pen. On the other hand, pen sketches are fun because I won't spend so much time getting everything perfect since I can't erase it.

    ReplyDelete