Pages

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Photographic Lighting: Indoor Lighting





One of the hardest lightings to have to deal with in any photograph, is indoor lighting photos. Because if your hired to do professional photos for a wedding that is inside, you have to work with the lighting that you have to capture a quality picture. “Even when working indoors on location shoots, you cannot always predict the conditions you’ll find. You may have to work with what is there” (Hurter 78).
The first photo is one I took for fun when I curled my sister’s hair. I wanted to make her look like a model, but it’s not the best quality photo. It was just taken off of my phone, which doesn’t help anything because it has no light coming off from the phone.


Now with these next photos they were taken with my cannon rebel. The flash was on but I was also indoors, which made it easy for the photos to show up well because of the camera flash.




This is an indoor photo that was taken in a cabin, the natural lighting went right to her face which made the perfect indoor/portrait photo. I love looking at this photo and comparing it to the one above because they are with the same person but just with different light sources.






The second photo is of my baby sister and this was actually the first photo that I took on my new camera. Its lighting is perfect because all the light may not be on her face, but the major subject is in the middle of the photo which makes it easy to tell what the photo is all about.


 




This is probably my favorite photo transformation that I have with all of my photos because I can look at 2 different photos with years in difference of the same person but with different lighting and camera circumstances. It shows me how much I have improved on taking photos just by reading one chapter in Photographic Lighting by Bill Hurter.


Hurter, Bill. The Best of Photographic Lighting: Techniques and Images for Digital Photographers. 2nd ed. Buffalo, NY: Amherst Media, 2006. Print


 What is your favorite kinds of photos to take while you are indoors?


 






1 comments:

  1. Hi Ashton, I really liked your blog post but personally I disagree with your opening statement. I think that taking photos inside is easier because almost all photos taken inside are using artificial lighting, Meaning you can manipulate the light. This is helpful because you can chose the type of contrast you want for your final product.

    ReplyDelete