Pages

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Corner Hem

     In Me and My Sewing Machine, by Kate Haxell, she explains how to create a corner hem. She starts by saying, "the idea of having to produce a square, flat, mitered corner is one that sends many novice sewers pale, but it isn't a difficult technique to get right, you just need to be able to measure and press accurately" (Haxell 46).
So first to apply this technique I got a measuring tape for measuring and an iron for pressing. I then followed her steps. Her steps went from measuring out the fabric, cutting it, and then folding the hem over its self (Haxell 46).


The fabric then looked like this:












She then explains how to sew the two ends of the fabric to create a cornered look (Haxell 47).




Now for the last step she says to sew a straight line at the edge of the hem and then I will be done!  (Haxell 47)








I am going to apply this technique to my sewing, by creating clean hems for all the corners of my fabric. This will make my project look more professional and it will look cleaner. By applying this technique I can understand how seamstress created this corner hem.








Do you know what a hem is and why its used?






Haxell, Kate. Me and My Sewing Machine. Lafayette: C&T, 2010. Print.

0 comments:

Post a Comment