Pages

Monday, January 25, 2016

Pilates for Trail Runners

Trail running is one of my favorite forms of exercise. I love running through woody trails, going over technical footing and really testing my body awareness. I really discovered trail running after going on a hike with my dad. Once we got to the top of the peak, we decides to run back down. I ended up building so much speed over a very technical part, that my dad made me stop so that he could tell me to slow down. He said I had "happy feet" but he didn't want to bring me home to my mom with a rearranged face. So for those of you that know me, that's how I got the name happy feet.




So even though I love trail running sometimes it can be pretty challenging. My calves get tight and quads get sore and sometime over tight and tricky footing it's hard to stay centered. But I want to enjoy it while I run so I turned to Lauri Ann Stricker who wrote the book, Pilates for the Outdoor Athlete. She said: "A strong core  provides stability for the pelvis and support for the lower back. Flexibility in the legs, hips, torso, and shoulders improve range of motion and promotes forward lean on ankles and not the waist" (Stricker, 92) Learning these key points to strengthen you body to gain better performance is very helpful. If you have the correct muscle balances all around your body, it is able to improve your outcome to the exercise and help prevent injuries every athlete dreads. Stricker also recommends that finding your right stride, shoes, and training practices will help clear up some injuries that many runners are prone to. (Stricker 92-93) She really encourages runners to understand their body. She also pushes runners to have consistent training practices. If you have a schedule or consistent routine that is appropriate to your level of endurance.







So should I boost core strength? Stricker suggests having a routine of exercises to get the best outcome. One of the exercises that targets specifically the core is called "Roll Up" (Stricker 98)












1. To begin, lay on your back with feet flexed and arms by your head.








2. Inhale, and raise your arms to the sky and point your head to look at your feet. You should be curled, as if you were peeling each section of you spine off the mat. Keep you heals touching the fool as you roll up.








3. Exhale, and curl forward reaching towards your feet. Hollow your stomach as if there was something on you that you want you torso to lift over.








4. Inhale, and roll back down one vertebra at a time. When you have reached the bottom, exhale to complete the movement. Repeat 6-8 times.
(Stricker 132-133)
















What time of running do you like best? Trail, road, track running?










Stricker, Lauri Ann. Pilates for the Outdoor Athlete. Golden, CO: Fulcrum Pub., 2007. Print.

2 comments:

  1. This is a really cool plan, strengthening your core to help with running. I have found that the having varied styles of core work outs is very beneficial so I am excited to try this one out! Varied styles have also helped me in my quest to learn German: speaking, reading, writing are some examples. Now I can try this core work out while practicing my German :) To answer your question, I adore trail running because you never know for sure whats around the next bend and the terrain is always changing as well. Over all, it is more fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I love trail running too! I love the way it will always keep you entertained and guessing as to what is happening next. I'm so glad that this helped you out!

      Delete