Pages

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Synchronizing the Mind with the Body

The present time is where we are all in right now; does everybody think in the present time? Most likely not, though not a bad thing, we tend to always think either more into the future or past instead of staying in the present time. I am one to never think of what is happening at the moment and instead think of what has happened in the past or what will happen next. Dr. Joseph Parent believes "When the body and mind are synchronized for a golf swing, they are unified in purpose, presence, and focus. They are functioning in the same place at the same time"(106). This will ensure that I will be focused and as confident as could be when I stay in the present time. I feel that when I think too far forward or backward, I tend to have anxiety feeling while I am on the course or anywhere. Preserving those thoughts for a later time other than on the course will give me a better perspective while playing and will guarantee me a much more comfortable and confident swing.

Along with the many factors that create a better golf experience, I believe that one of the most important factors to think about while on the playing golf is to stay in the present time. As they are synchronized, you will become more focused and in the moment. I am always an avid thinker, and in most situations I usually think of what I could do next or what had happened. When I started to think in the presence of time and not further or before, I had a stronger and attached feeling while playing golf. I am now a lot more focused and can concentrate better than ever. I went down to the range today and hit a couple balls without thinking about any future concerns or what I could do to change my bad couple first shots. It turns out that those balls I had hit without thinking, I have a lot more fluent swing and a more relaxed feeling. Dr. Joseph Parent says that in order to have your body and mind synchronized, you can not have the "think about" aspect of what you are doing. For example if you are thinking about your swing, you are not swinging, you are thinking. If the mind and body are doing two different things, they are not synchronized (108). I have took initiative to not allow the think-about-this, and rather to not think of anything at all concerning my swing. This is because I truly know that if I am thinking too much about how I can perfect my swing, my body physically will not be in tune of my mind, causing problems within confidence. Doing this simple technique of synchronizing my body with my mind has made me more confident and more concentrated on what situations are given to me in the present.

How do you keep yourself in the present time?

Parent, Joseph, Dr. Zen Golf. New York: Double Day, 2002. Print.

0 comments:

Post a Comment