Pages

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Cupcakes

For my final project, I decided to make cupcakes, since I decided why not. This was one of the hardest things I have baked in my entire life, but it ended up being so good, I think the mess was worth it. In this recipe, not only do we make the cupcakes, but also the icing to go along with them. The ingredients for these include:

Cupcakes

  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 3/4 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
  • 1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
  • 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, but into 1/2 inch cubes, at room temperature
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 recipe buttercream frosting (following)
Buttercream frosting 
  • 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
  • 6 to 7 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1/2 cup whole milk
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • Liquid gel food coloring (optional)
The first step in making the cupcakes is to preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and line 24 cupcake cups with paper liners. In a large measuring cup or just a bowl, mix together the milk and vanilla, set aside. 

In a large bowl, combine both flours, the sugar, baking powder, and salt mixing on low speed for 2 to 3 minutes until thoroughly combined (Day). Next probably the hardest part of the whole recipe, "With the mixer on low speed, add the cubed butter a few pieces at a time, mixing for about 2 minutes, until the mixture resembles coarse sand" (Day). This took so long for me to do, and it got everywhere. The butter did not want to mix together, but I stuck it through, and it actually worked in the end, no one was more surprised than me. 

Add the eggs in, one at a time, mixing well after each addition, then turn the speed down and gradually add the milk and vanilla, the mix for another 1 to 2 minutes. Using a rubber spatula, incorporate any ingredients hiding at the bottom of the bowl, make sure the batter is completely mixed (Day). 

With a large ice cream scoop or spoon, scoop the batter into the prepared cupcake cups filling it two-thirds full. I would recommend a little less than two-thirds, since the cupcakes overflowed in the oven and were gigantic. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a cake tester (or a toothpick) inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool for 20 minutes, add frosting and enjoy!


Making the frosting is very easy compared to the cupcakes, and actually tastes pretty good. In a large bowl, cream the butter until light and fluffy. Add 4 cups of powdered sugar to start, the milk, and vanilla on low speed until smooth and creamy. Gradually add up to 3 more cups of sugar, until frosting reaches light and fluffy consistency. With 4 cups of powdered sugar, this was already really sweet, but it was incredibly liquid and runny. My advice would be to add one more cups of powdered sugar, and the refrigerate. This makes the frosting a lot easier to work with, and taste better. If you would like to add food coloring in, do that in the mixing process. I still have these cupcakes sitting on my kitchen counter, since it made so many. My family and I really love them, so I highly recommend this recipe.

Is there a difference between icing and frosting? Do you prefer cupcakes or just a cake?

Day, Cheryl, and Griffith Day. The Back in the Day Cookbook. New York: Artisan, 

     2012. Print.  

1 comments:

  1. Wassup Melanie! The cupcakes look bomb, and I can't bake to save my life. But I think frosting is more thicker and icing is more thin, and gets hard over time. I prefer cupcakes, because most cakes to me are boring or dry. Unless its ice cream cake! I tried to make cupcakes one time, but I forgot they were in the oven and they turned into burnt. Eh, oh well, probably I sign that I'm not fit for baking or cooking. Anyways keep up the good work man! -Stay Fresh

    ReplyDelete