Pages

Thursday, January 25, 2018

Drawing a Zoo Animal

Now, most people don't go to the zoo with the sole intention to draw. Most go to just look at all the animals and maybe take pictures. For this section of the book, I got the opportunity to go to the zoo with the sole intention of drawing. And I have to say that the next time I go to the zoo, I'm definitely bringing along my drawing pad. My chosen book 6 Week Drawing Course by Barrington Barber states that is you go places like a zoo you "usually have limited opportunity to move about much and you may not have a wide choice of viewpoint" (110). This was very true, especially around the more popular animals, which coincidentally were the easiest animals to draw, like the giraffes, lions, bears. So after roaming the entire zoo for an animal with less of a crowd, I settled for a penguin. This was one of the more difficult drawings because, not only was there a sizable crowd at the penguin exhibit, but I was also drawing them from a bit of a distance. I took a picture before it got even more crowded and I needed to walk away from the exhibit to get out of the way.


While I was forced to move away, I had been able to get down the basic shape of the penguin, which was alright, because as Barber states, "detail is less important that with domestic animals"
(100).


Then, going off of the picture, I got most of what I still needed to complete the drawing.


What could I have done to improve this drawing? Please give me any feedback down in the comments.

Barber, Barrington. 6-Week Drawing Course: a professional programme for artists.
     Arcturus Publishing Limited, 2014.

2 comments:

  1. Nice post and drawing, I feel like adding shadows and shading could do a number on your drawing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angel! I agree that adding shading would have greatly improved the drawing.

      Delete