Pages

Thursday, January 25, 2018

Lipstick application

As I was reading the Bobbi Brown makeup manual, I came across Chapter 5 which is all about application of lipstick and choosing the correct shade. I rarely wear lipstick with a complete makeup look, maybe just a dab of lip gloss or Carmex. But while reading I realized the importance of lipstick, especially in the beauty industry. It's not often that you see celebrities going out in public with a full face of makeup, but no lip color. This inspired me to go more into depth with lipstick.
Brown includes a chart that shows which lipstick shades would look best with which natural lip colors. She states that for lips similar to mine, brown, rose, pink, orange, or warm red shades would compliment those who have a natural medium tint to their lips (80).
I also wanted to learn all about the different formulas of lip products. "Lip glosses provide hydration, sun protection, and sheen... Tints protect lips with moisturizing formulas that usually contain sunscreen... Matte shades are dense and last longest. They contain less moisture than other products, so they adhere to lips and don't fade quickly..." (82).
As I read through the different lip products, I came to the conclusion that matte lipsticks or glosses were my favorite, and could both work on me, since I have neither dry nor very hydrated lips, so typically any product could work for me.
I decided to look through my lipstick collection, and came across 2 products: a M.A.C. matte lipstick, and an Anastasia Beverly Hills gloss.

After I did a full face of makeup, I followed Brown's 5-steps about how to apply lipsticks correctly.
I began at the corners of my mouth with each product, then I slowly applied it more into the middle, and finally I added another layer just so the product would be more pigmented. I did separately this for each of the lipsticks.

(1st set of pictures was with the matte M.A.C. lipstick, 2nd set was with the Anastasia Beverly Hills gloss).
After this, I found that I actually love lipsticks, since they add so much to the makeup.
I wore each lipstick for about 40 minutes, and the matte one did tend to stay on more then the gloss, but that's expected, considering it is more dry. The gloss did fade but it still lasted.
Now I  also know which colors work best for my lips, and not to mention that there are many cheaper dupes for almost every lipstick in the makeup industry! Also, I know now how to apply lipstick correctly so that it looks best.

A question I have for you guys is do you guys prefer lip-glosses or matte lipsticks?

Brown, Bobbi, et al. Bobbi Brown Makeup Manual: for Everyone from Beginner to Pro. Springboard Press, 2011.

4 comments:

  1. Great post! I definitely prefer matte lipsticks, because like you said in your post, they last longer because they're dryer. I also think that they add a very unique and beautiful look to the whole face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They do last a lot longer, but I wear lip glosses a lot because they are more subtle and easier to wear with every day makeup.

      Delete
  2. Personally I prefer glosses to matte because as you mentioned in your post it shines, I love sparkly and shinny stuff so naturally I am more attracted to gloss.Really nice post.

    ReplyDelete