Pages

Thursday, January 25, 2018

Drawing A Horse

Alright, I think that out of all the drawings I did for this project, this one was my favorite to draw. The horse section of this book is the longest of all the animals at four pages long, but once I started, I found that it was the easiest drawing to do of the ones in this book. The 6 Week Drawing Couse book that horse are an excellent subject because you can see many of their muscles (Barber 106). I got the chance to be very close to the horse and have it tethered so that it was very still for the most part. Barbers book states that you should get the main shape down as quickly as possible (108). So I did that, and to not keep the horse out in the cold too long, I skipped taking a picture of the first sketch.


But I’m very proud of how this drawing ended up, and would love to draw a horse close up again.


What do you think I could have done to improve? I attempted the cross hatch shading recommended by Ansleigh Coplin, and I think it turned out okay, but what do you think?

Barber, Barrington. 6-Week Drawing Course: a professional programme for artists.
     Arcturus Publishing Limited, 2014.






2 comments:

  1. Stephanie, you are a very good artist! I enjoyed reading your blog post because I love animals and I enjoy drawing even though I am not very good. I think that the shading on the horse looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mason! I actually had a bit of fun doing this style of shading, and I might use it more often.

    ReplyDelete