Pages

Thursday, January 25, 2018

This Is Not The Card

How Do I find Your Card This Time?



It's me again, the wannabe magician.  I bring another hopefully amazing magic trick from Karl Fulves'  Self-working Close Up Card Magic. This trick is called This Is Not The Card. In this trick the card is put into the deck at random
I apologize immensely for all the sniffing in the video, I am currently a little sick.

The wording in the magic book was a little hard for me to understand, so  had to ask for help from my brother when learning the trick. Since he helped me, I invited him to be in my video. He's the hands helping me. The author of the book describes this trick, as "The seemingly random nature of the way the card is chosen. The magician never touches the card, yet it is under his direct control." (Fulves 38)

True, the magician never touches the card. But for this trick, he doesn't need to. The reason they don't need to touch the card, it's because of the way the cards are counted. During the trick the author says to count 29 cards in.

This trick was a bit more complex that the others, but it works really well.
If you were making a routine, would you rather have a few more complex tricks or more short but amazing tricks?

Citation: Fulves, Karl. Self-Working Close-up Card Magic: 56 Foolproof Tricks. Dover Publications, 1995.


4 comments:

  1. Hi Dani! This is amazing! I'm always so intrigued by magic tricks and to finally know the secrets behind them is pretty cool. Personally, I would want to know a few shorter but amazing tricks because people will think that it won't be as tricky as complex tricks but will change their minds after seeing the trick performed. I hope that made sense! Why do you think the author chose to count 29 cards into the deck? Is there some way of always keeping the chosen card 29 cards in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reason the magician moves only 29 cards is so that when the trick spells out 'this is not the card you took' it lands on the chosen card. That's how the magician never needs to touch the card ;)

      Delete
  2. It was really interesting to see the magician not touch the card. I felt that it was complex and unique, and I am fascinated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Baffling tricks like these are always really cool. But that doesn't mean other tricks aren't as great.

    ReplyDelete