Pages

Thursday, January 25, 2018

Basketball: Shooting Technique

Probably the most important aspect of shooting a basketball is the shooting form/technique used. The greatest shooters of all time had a good form that they mastered over thousands of shots. I will use the tips from Basketball Shooting by Dave Hopla to hopefully perfect my shot.

Here is a picture of Klay Thompson, who has a perfect textbook shooting form.

 Image result for klay thompson shooting form















I used the hoop outside my house in the front yard to practice. It is not exactly 10 feet like standard hoops, but it is close enough. My goal was to have a better shooting form similar to Klay Thompson's. I warmed up by putting up a few shots before I started. In Basketball Shooting, Hopla says that you need to keep you elbow beneath the ball and don't let it stick out because it will make your shot much less accurate (23). I tried this technique, keeping my elbow tucked in as I raised the ball to shoot it. It felt uncomfortable at first because I was not used to it, but after shooting around like this for a while, It felt more natural and my shots were more centered on the hoop. Hopla also states in the book "Now bring the ball back toward the head to form the letter L with the shooting arm... This L-shaped positioning is key. If you bend the shooting elbow too much and distort the L, you will be slinging the ball... By maintaining the L-shape, you will properly lift the ball" (23). I kept shooting, making sure to pay close attention to me arm positioning as I shot. After a while, I developed muscle memory to this shot and it felt more natural.

A picture of me practicing my arm placement.

I feel as if my shooting technique has gotten much better after using the tips that I learned from Basketball Shooting, as my shots are going in much more often. Read my other blog posts for more on basketball.

Have you ever practiced using good technique on something?

Hopla, Dave. Basketball Shooting. Human Kinetics, 2012.



0 comments:

Post a Comment