Pages

Thursday, January 25, 2018

Track Starts

Track Start Improvements

As I have taken more tips throughout my blogs I have seen suggestions to raise my hips higher into the air. This helps the feeling of the falling affect so I am able to get out of the blocks faster and be able to start my stride down the track faster.

Tips

Hamstrings are the most important muscle for a fast sprint.

Quadriceps are the second most important muscle for a fast sprint.

You are going to need strong calves for pushing off with your toes.

Your shoulders, chest, and back need to be strong for pumping your arms.

The core needs to be strong to keep your body straight and aligned properly.

Make sure to always stretch your muscles before an event to make sure you do not pull any important muscles before or after the event.

Proper Start Guide Lines

""

In the “set” position, it is generally understood that the hips should rise above the line of the head. However, this is where things can go wrong, following the misguided concept that they must also lean forward, bringing the shoulders ahead of the hands and putting pressure on them. This can easily be checked in practice and made visible to the athlete by using a stick or weighted string to drop down from the shoulders.

Questions

If you have ran sprints in the past what was your best time for the 100, 200, or 400?
If you're an athlete what was the worst injury that you have had?

Cited

Pictures cited: Track & Field By Gabrielle Vanderhoof





8 comments:

  1. HI Austin, Nice post. When reading your post I liked how you used other peoples tips to help better your self as a Track star. As an Athlete you always want to know how to properly do something, so the tips you included really helped me out when learning more about Track.

    Hannah Jensen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the feedback I appreciate that you've taken the time to comment on my post. The tips from other runners definitely does help when getting out of the blocks.

      Delete
  2. Hey Austin , I commented on your other post about track stars but something I noticed that will drastically improve your starts are using blocks. Hope it helps :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the advice I just didn't have the equipment at the time.

      Delete
  3. Nice post Austin, after seeing peoples comments on your blog how have you improved your sprint time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angel I appreciate it, and I have brought my sprint time in the 100 down by half a second thank you for asking.

      Delete
  4. Good post! You have really good information and adding in the pictures shows how you have improved which proves that what you're writing about really works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the feedback I appreciate your positive output about my posts. And yes I have been improving my track starts.

      Delete