Pages

Thursday, January 25, 2018

Sketch of a Coffee cup

For my second post, I will be doing a structural sketch. The Willenbrinks explain that, "A structural sketch is the basic linework in which values and details are built upon" (Willenbrink 16).  I will be following the Willenbrinks and draw a coffee cup for this exercise.

To begin, the Willenbrinks explain that "A structural sketch will help you observe and understand the underlying structure of the subject,"(Willenbrink 16) and also that, "A structural sketch helps you see how a subject is constructed"(Willenbrink 17). With this, the Willenbrinks are essentially saying that structural sketches is a good technique for beginners to see what makes up the object that they intend to draw, similar to how shapes give an idea of how something is structured, and that it is a good way to warm up before doing a sketch or drawing in another style (Willenbrink 16). 

The reference picture that I will be using is this one:

So, the first step that is instructed is to,"Sketch the outer forms of the mug and the most relevant structural guidelines, such as those that indicate the placement of the rim. the bottom of the cup and handle"(Willenbrink 17).


Here is a picture of the structural guidelines of the cup 


And here is what it turned out to be


This exercise was also a bit difficult for me to use. There were a lot of lines so sometimes I would get stuck trying to figure out how to fit the object within the lines, but the lines did give me an idea of where what should go.

What do you think about this technique? Do you think it'd be useful to you or would it actually make it more difficult for you to draw? 


Willenbrink, Mark, and Mary Willenbrink. Drawing for the Absolute Beginner: A
     Clear & Easy Guid to Successful Drawing. Cincinnati, Ohio, North Light
     Books, 2006.

4 comments:

  1. Great content! It almost looks like you can reach out and grab the cup. I think the technique you used was very successful and if I were you I would carry it out through out other drawings as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Austin! I'll keep this technique in mind when I'll draw in the future, but for now i might put it aside. I struggled a lot during the drawing process, but I'll pick this up again once i learn more about other basic art techniques.

      Delete
  2. Nice post Anthony! For me, this technique looks a bit difficult to use as it may confuse me on how to fit the object within the lines, like how you struggled. I took draw/paint/design last year and for sketches I never had learned about this technique! I find it quite interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jordan! Yes this technique was hard for me to use in my drawing process, yet the book made it look so simple. I think I might just put this technique to the side until i learn more about the basics of drawing.

      Delete