Pages

Friday, December 30, 2016

Understanding Colors



Now, as previously mentioned, in which I believe to be from my first post. I dont follow the basic fundamentals or the more complicated styles to making art, in this case, watercolor. Im more free-handed or for a more literal meaning, I honestly never cared much about procedure and what youre supposed to do and what not to do with watercolor. So, of course, when asked about primary colors, secondary colors, and complementary colors, Im confused or I have the memory stored in the darkest reaches of my mind, which basically means I dont remember them. 

Though, I understand that to get painting down, you have to be able to understand basics, no matter how much work it is. For example, pigments, which the authors of the book, Basic Watercolor Techniques, by Grey Albert and Rachel Wolf agree that understanding pigments allow you to use your paints more effectively and use any new techniques confidently (Albert and Wolf 38). By understanding pigments, it helps me to develop ways to use my paints, since some could be rotting to dust out of pure disuse. For example, knowing how deep a color is allows me to know whether to use it in a painting or not. 
Pigments
That goes along with the color wheel, which is basically the fundamentals to understanding primary, secondary, and complementary colors. As stated from Albert and Wolf, The color wheel makes some very basic color relationships easier to see and understand Any two primaries mixed together create a secondary color, which is placed between the two parent colors and opposite the remaining primary colors (Albert and Wolf 37). In simplistic terms, the color wheel is kind of similar to a formula, mix two colors together, you get a new color out of it, resulting in complementary and secondary colors, since primary colors cannot be made from other two combinations.
Color Wheel


These create new ways to develop my style of art and my understanding of art because by learning the color wheel, it gives me a deeper understanding of which colors go together and what they are used for.

Do you think following step by step procedures make a person better at what theyre doing? 


Albert, Greg, and Rachel Wolf. Basic Watercolor Techniques. Cincinnati, Ohio: North Light Books, 1991. Print.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Olivia! I never know what the color wheel was before reading through your post. It was really interesting to learn about the different types of colors and how the color wheel helps with understanding the different types of colors. I can see this being really beneficial with other artistically based skills such as like coloring.

    To answer your questions, I believe that following steps by steps instructions it only really important to improving when you're trying to do a new skill that you have no idea how to even start. After learning the basics of a skill, I believe that it's just best to just go onto your own path and work your way up from there. In my own personal experience that's how I've done everything and it seems to work best for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Huy!

      The color wheel really is beneficial to learning more about colors and understanding their uses. I'm also happy that the post has helped you learn more about art and how it's used.

      I agree with your answer to the question! It's always best to start off simple and go on from there. The basics are such an important thing because they're like the levels you need to get past before moving on to the more advanced ones.

      Thanks Huy for the comment!

      Delete
  2. Hi Olivia! Following step by step procedures and definitely make a person better at what they're doing. I say this because it can help someone become more familiar and eventually they'd no longer need the procedures anymore. Its a strategy to understanding the basics of a skill. In my experience, following the drawing book guides me on what to do.

    ReplyDelete