Pages

Friday, December 30, 2016

Correcting Defensive Skills

          One of the most important  aspects of basketball is defense.  In my opinion, stopping the other team from scoring is more important than how much  you score on offense.  To be a good defender, I always think about staying low, keeping my arms wide, and staring at the other player's waist to track their movements. But even then, that isn't enough; you can still get fouls from reaching to get a steal, even if  it  just looked like you did.
          A way to prevent getting fouls called on steals is keeping up palms on defense, or KUP. Basketball players get unnecessary fouls from reaching with their palms facing the floor for dribbles and trying to swat at shots  (DeVenzio 145).  I have noticed that in games I tend to reach in and try to steal the ball, always with my palms facing the floor, and get called for the foul almost every time. These fouls are useless and don't help me at all, and the more I get, the sooner I get seated on the bench... But, when I kept my palms facing the ceiling, I saw that I could reach in, and not get the foul called, even if I didn't end up stealing the ball anyways. I think part of the reason why refs don't call it as much is because you aren't swatting the ball down, it looks more like a tip to yourself. This tip helped me play a lot better defense, and not getting as many fouls as I used to.

          Another way KUP is helpful and better for your defensive stance is because it helps with your balance. "KUP will also help you stay on balance and in good position on defense. The habit of reaching palms- down causes you to lunge and put all your weight forward, and then get beaten. But reaching palms-up does not cause this same tendency. A down-swatting motion tends to throw your body off -balance while an up-swatting motion keeps your body on balance" (DeVenzio 146).  When i tried this in practice and games, I realized that when I try to steal with my palms facing up, I could recover faster and not get beat on defense. With my palms down, my weight shifts  while I lunge, and the offensive player is able to run past me. Balance is an important aspect of defense, so you don't get crossed and fall.  Now when I play defense, I can get really close to the person I am guarding, and not worry about getting beat, even if she is faster than me. Using KUP and getting all up in the offensive player's bubble makes them uncomfortable, and forces a turnover. KUP  is a simple way to improve you defensive stance and is a great way to become an amazing defender. If you play basketball, I encourage you to try this , and see how it impacts you.

What are some other tips or major keys you need to become a great defender? How is a basketball defensive stance different or the same as another sport's defensive stance?


DeVenzio, Dick. Stuff Good Players Should Know: Intelligent Basketball from A to Z. Victoria, TX: PGC Basketball, 2014. Print.


0 comments:

Post a Comment