Pages

Friday, December 30, 2016

Complex Knots

What's up everyone, like I said before I wanted to try to get at least one more post out over break, and here it is! I hope you all had a great holiday season! Enjoy!

So for this post I'm going to do a slightly different format since the knots are getting more and more complex. Instead of going over 4 knots I'm just going to really focus on two and put a video and then some step by step pictures to show you all how to make these knots. Here we go!

The first knot that I will be learning how to do and teaching you about is called the Diagonal. According to Jin, this knot is best used when you have a tie with thin light fabric, and should be made when wearing a solid color tie because otherwise the patterns on the tie distract the viewer from the shape of the knot (Jin 83). This will definitely be useful for me when I use my light blue or purple ties because they are a solid color. With the use of this knot, I can add a little flare to my outfit, despite the uniform tie. Also, this knot just looks cool, so if I can actually pull off making it correctly it will be a nice looking knot that I'll probably use for any of my ties. I found that when trying to make the knot I had a really hard time getting the wide end of the tie in front of the small end when finished. After trying for a while I noticed that with the way the knot is tied, the wide end does drift toward the back behind the small end. So if you are able to get this to end up correctly please let me know because I can't seem to figure out how to make it look 100% correct. Below is a video of me attempting this knot, please note that I'm not really doing this perfectly, I'm just doing my best. Hope you like it!



The second knot that I'll be going over in this post is called The Miniature. The author states, "As the name implies, this knot is very small. Unlike other, well-known styles, the narrower end of the tie leads the action. You will notice that the reverse side of the tie is visible on the finished knot" (Jin 87). This knot will be another one of those knots that I'll most likely use just for fun. I'll be able to use it when I have a concert to express myself a bit in my outfit, or when my family goes out to see a play like we do around Christmas time. No matter what I end up using this for, it is the simplest one in this chapter, so unless I find myself completely mastering one of the other ones, it will most likely be the one I use most often. Instead of just showing you the knot like I usually do, I decided to take step-by-step pictures of how to tie it, seeing as I'm only going over two knots this time. Hopefully you can find a use for it!

By the way, I am doing this on the ground because it is easier for me to do it that way, but you are able to do it around you neck if you wish.

First, lay the tie out as shown above 


Create a loop with the skinny end of the tie 


Make a knot with the skinny end using the loop 


Tighten enough to allow the wide end to fit through 


Tuck the wide end through the knot and tada!



Now it's time for life lessons with Logan! :P
Looking back on what I've learned here, I'd say this chapter especially has shown me that you can't really judge a book by its cover. All of the knots up to this point have been pretty uniform and look fairly similar, but in this chapter the author is really showing some interesting looking knots. Most people who read this will most likely gloss over it because no one really pays attention to how you tie the knot, they only care about you having the tie itself. However, if you look a little closer  you can see how intricate some of these knots are and how cool they really look. So overall, this has reinforced the lesson that you can't judge a book by its cover, because if you look inside you can see how beautiful and amazing it is or can be.

Thank you all for reading! This is probably it for winter break although I do plan to try to get some more posts queued up so that I'm not cramming it all in the end. Happy New Year! Anyways, I'll turn things over to you now: What instances in your life have taught you to not judge a book by its cover? Have you used or plan on using any of these knots?

Jin, Ryan Tristan. How to Tie a Tie a Gentleman's Guide to Getting Dressed. New York: Potter Style, 2015. Print.

6 comments:

  1. Hello Logan! To answer your question, the biggest instance of when I learned not to judge a book by its cover was quite literally when I learned not to judge a book's quality by its cover. I don't remember what book it was exactly, but I saw the cover and thought it to be boring. However, after reading the book, I was extremely glad that I did.

    To answer your second question, I haven't used this knot before, but I think that perhaps for more professional and formal occasions, such as dances or funerals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Drew!! I can totally relate to that experience as well. I remember back in elementary school I tried to read a book called The Ranger's Apprentice, The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan. (Picture the title italicized... I'm not sure how to do it in a comment...) In my opinion the cover didn't look too interesting because it was dark and gloomy, and when I tried to read it the words were too big for me to comprehend. Therefore, in my little 3rd grade brain, the book was not worth my time. However, when I came back to the book a couple years later and gave it a chance, I found it to be an amazing book. The author and that series is still one of my favorites today. I'm glad that you can relate to that message like I do!

    Also, be sure to let me knot if you ever use on of these knots and how it went! I'm planning to use the first knot during one of my Jazz performances coming up.

    Thanks for the comment!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Logan! I remember one time I was caught guilty of judging a book by its cover was at a soccer game maybe three months ago. As you know I'm a goalie, so I like to check out the other team's keeper too. The other keeper was a larger dude, and when I first saw him I thought for sure he couldn't be that good, simply because he wasn't that mobile. But as the game went on, he showed quick footwork and solid hands, and totally proved me wrong. Just goes to show that things aren't always as they seem.

    As for the ties, I think I will be attempting a few in the future so I won't be bugging my dad to tie them for me. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank for the comment Hans! I can totally say that I've done that too! Especially during basketball in past years, there have been a few times where I looked at the team and though they wouldn't be the greatest just because of their size or stature. However, just like you, I quickly realized they can shoot some mean 3-pointers and are very aggressive. I'm glad you can relate to that like I can!

      Also, as for your reason for trying the knots, that's mostly my reason for learning as well! I'd always have to get my dad to tie my tie even though he was getting ready himself. However, now I can do it myself and not bug him! :D

      I'm glad you can relate and thanks again for the comment!

      Delete
  4. In response to your question, I think I will probably use this knowledge whenever I need to wear a suit, because sometimes I just skip out on a tie because I just have no idea how to tie ties but with your instructions I think I can finally wear my ties with pride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you will try this out! It's probably best to wear a tie with a suit anyway, so if you get the chance definitely try it out. It works well at just about any event, provided you're wearing a tie of course, so feel free to use it whenever you want! Also, I like your comment about wearing the tie with pride. I completely agree, wear your ties with pride because they are a way for you to express yourself. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete