Pages

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Fishtail




Good evening fellow blog readers! Hope you all had a good Christmas! The hair style I tried out today is called “fishtail braid” you can use this fishtail style to turn an everyday, boring hairstyle into a chic and interesting look. This braid may appear very complex, but fishtail braids are actually quite easy. When reading about this look, the book said “Keep in mind that the smaller the sections you use to create the braid, the more intricate and beautiful the hairstyle will be” (Coefield 27). When I attempted to do the fishtail braid it took a long time, the smaller the pieces you use, the longer the braid takes to do. When braiding my sister’s hair, I took the tip and did small pieces and about 10 minutes later I was only half way done, I wanted to start taking bigger pieces to get it done faster because my fingers were cramping but I didn’t want to ruin the look. This shows that this hairstyle you need patience to get the braid to look amazing. The book also really pointed out that for this particular style of braid you really need to pull the hair tight, so that the braid keeps a nice form (Coefield 30). When braiding I made sure I pulled every strand tight as can be, this is what really cramped up my fingers, but pulling the hair tight is worth it or else the braid would look like a loose mess.

Steps for this hair style

  1. Secure your hair into a ponytail.
  2. Divide the ponytail in half
  3. Take a very small piece of hair from the right section. The smaller the pieces of hair you use the more beautiful the braid will turn out.
  4. Bring the small piece of hair over the left section
  5. Now take a small section from the left and bring it over to the right section of hair.
  6. Repeat steps 2-3. Make sure to continually pull the braid tight so that it keeps its form as you are braiding.
  7. Continue braiding until you reach the ends of your hair, then secure your braid with a hair tie.

 

Here’s how it turned out:


 

Question: Would you attempt this style? Any tips?

Citation: Coefield, Sasha. DIY Braids: From Crowns to Fishtails, Easy, Step-by-step Hair Braiding Instructions. Avon, MA: Adams Media, 2014. Print

5 comments:

  1. I would attempt that style because to me it looks really cool, but a question I have is does someone else need to do it for you or can you do it yourself? And one tip is to make it a little tighter cause it looks a little to loose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abby, I enjoyed reading your blog post about how to do a fishtail braid. I would love to attempt this hairstyle because it is a very good look. But, I would probably not have much patience to do this hairstyle, so maybe I can attempt this hairstyle to work on my patience skills, as well as my braiding skills. I think the best time to do this hairstyle would be after washing your hair so that you can braid your hair while it's still wet so your hair isn't that slippery when you're trying to hold the strands of hair tightly. After showing off the fishtail braid, you can take out the braid when it's dry and your hair will end up being wavy. So by doing a fishtail braid, someone can benefit from this hairstyle by having another hairstyle after taking the braid out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tiffani, I'm glad you found this hairstyle amusing. Patience is defiantly a big role in how the look turns out, so hopefully when you attempt this you have good patience or else it will not turn out the way you want. I can relate having patience problems though, near the end of my braid a started grabbing larger pieces so i could get it done faster. This caused the end of the braid to not look an efficient. Thank you for the advice on having wet hair, maybe next time I do this I will incorporate it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kaila, I am glad you enjoyed this hairstyle. To answer your question, in my opinion i would start out doing this hairstyle on other people to get the hang of it. Once you feel confident enough try it on yourself, it will defiantly be more difficult, but after you practiced for a while it will come natural. Also, thank you for your advice at the end, I will remember that advice for the next time I attempt this and hopefully it will turn out better.

    ReplyDelete