Pages

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Emotions in Art


"The artist is a receptacle for emotions that come from all over the place, from the sky, from the earth, from a passing shape, from a spider's web."  
Pablo Picasso
Colors & Emotions
When trying to express emotions in art, the possibilities are endless. Using the elements of texture, marks, or shapes, emotions can be portrayed, but the element I will be bringing my focus to in today's activity is something different: color. Not exactly sure how I would execute the process of displaying emotions through colors correctly, I turned to Debora Stewart's book, Abstract Art, for guidance. Stewart claims that the colors you choose directly express emotions. For example, a painting with a primary color of red often displays a sense of power, intensity, or anger (Stewart 39). With Stewart's writing, I realize that each of the basic colors have with them a set of particular meanings and emotions. These sets of emotions act as prerequisites for artists when they go about choosing the colors they will use in their pieces. With a greater understanding of how colors can portray emotion through Stewart's writing, it impacted me to create my own set of attached emotions I feel correspond to each of the basic colors, which is shown above. As well the chart above, Stewart has also impacted me in my art. In my first mini-attempt to apply her concept that the colors you choose directly express emotions, I painted my own piece. During the process, I made conscious decisions to only choose colors I thought adequately expressed what I was feeling. A dominating red and green, along with other minor colors like blue, purple, orange, and yellow is what resulted through applying Stewart's writing. The final result of this application is below.

First Attempt

Adding Blue
Composition and Emotions Chart

Continuing the concept of exhibiting emotion through color in art pieces, I sat down and made a second attempt on a bigger canvas. Reading on in Stewart's book, I found that her tips on this concept helped greatly. She states that a great way to display emotion is to "experiment with paints for this exercise and only use colors that represent certain emotions to you...emotions such as joy, fear, sadness, happiness, peace, and isolation" (Stewart 42). Through Stewart's writing, it has impacted the direction and result of my piece immensely. It has allowed me to independently customize and choose my own emotions for colors, realizing that everyone will have different preconceived perceptions of different colors. This, in turn, has made Stewart's writing impact my activity by making my piece a very personal one, with each different color of paint I used having personal meaning to me (you can use my chart above as a key for the colors). The final product of this is shown below.

Finished Product

What form of art do you think best portrays emotion? Music, paintings, dance? Do you think there is a right way to portray emotion, or should that be up to the artist?

              Stewart, Debora. Abstract Art Painting: Expressions in Mixed Media. Cincinnati, OH: North Light,               2015. Print.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Theresa! I personally think that no art can best portray emotion, because it really depends on how well the emotion is expressed. However, I will say that I think emotion can be most directly expressed in music, because most music uses lyrics, which can convey emotion easily to the listeners.

    I think there isn't a right way to portray emotion, so long as everyone can understand what the artist is trying to convey. However, as you mentioned, people will have different preconceived notions of things such as the meaning of colors, which can lead to misunderstanding between artist and viewer, which I think is really a nice feature about art: the same thing can be seen differently by every person.

    Your finished product looks absolutely amazing! I love the vibrancy of the colors and how they all seem to smoothly blend together, yet all maintain their own unique colors. I think you did a fantastic job, and your painting looks beautiful! It has a character and personality I can't describe, but really enjoy. An overall great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emily!

      Thanks for the comment! I can totally see where you are coming from. How well emotion is expressed can vary in art forms, just like you said. Sometimes emotion can really only be seen by the creator of the piece, but other times it is apparent to others as well. Also, I completely agree with what you're saying! I think that the ability that art has to be perceived as differently in the eyes of each person is something so beautiful as well. Art is limitless. It's so cool to have such a similar appreciation for art as someone!

      And lastly, thanks so much for the compliment :)

      Delete
  2. To start off- this art piece is really amazing! To answer your question- I think that music is the best way to express art because you can hear the tone of people and also they words they choose to share with you. However I don't think there is a right way to show emotion because emotions are something you feel and I don't think it is something people will ever be able to show perfectly through any art form.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alana! Thanks for the compliment :)

    I totally agree with you. Music, I think, is one of the greatest things on this earth. And also, I love the approach that you took on art, but given how subjective this topic is, I sort of disagree. I think that there is a way to show emotion, maybe not perfectly, but it can definitely be portrayed. Feelings are often the source of inspiration for artists in their pieces, and consequently, I think their emotions are shown.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Theresa! I feel as if I am the best and worst person to answer this question as I do not part-take in any of these forms of art personally. I don't do music, paint, or dance. Well, I do draw but, I wouldn't consider that to be anything serious. So, I feel like I won't be biased while answering the question. I think painting and drawing is the best way to portray emotion as it can easily include representations of music and dance in the actual painting. To fully answer the question, i don't think that there is a right or wrong way of portraying emotion as it completely depends on the artist and how they choose to express themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi JC! Don't worry, I totally feel the same way sometimes, since the only thing I really do that is "artsy" is ceramics. Even in that, I've only been doing it for a few months, so still, I am just a beginner. However, we can always get better with practice. (: Also, wow! That is such a pretty way of thinking about paintings and drawings. I've never thought about it that way. And lastly, I completely agree with your insight about emotions. Emotions are a very personal element of art that lies wholly within hands of the artist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi JC! Don't worry, I totally feel the same way sometimes, since the only thing I really do that is "artsy" is ceramics. Even in that, I've only been doing it for a few months, so still, I am just a beginner. However, we can always get better with practice. (: Also, wow! That is such a pretty way of thinking about paintings and drawings. I've never thought about it that way. And lastly, I completely agree with your insight about emotions. Emotions are a very personal element of art that lies wholly within hands of the artist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also did a blog on painting. Even though mine is on the technique, i love your blog about the emotion. The emotion behind the art work is really what pushes the work and give it the flare and the realness.

    ReplyDelete