Pages

Friday, December 30, 2016

Mentally Resilient

It is known that in many sports, players are needed to be physically tough. But not only do they have to be physically tough, they also have to be mentally tough. There are many people who are not mentally tough. It is hard for people to have mental toughness if they are focusing on their mistakes or the negative things that could happen, rather than being resilient and doing their best. Mental toughness is a mental habit that becomes a part of your pride and identity. Having mental toughness is a must-have for encounters in everyone's daily lives (DeVenzio 164). 

In Stuff Good Players Should Know, Dick DeVenzio points out that mental toughness is a key aspect of basketball and life as well. He explains that even if a player is very skillful, they aren't as great of a player if they aren't mentally tough. He encourages players to have mental toughness. "Develop a noble quality of mind. Learn to do your best quietly, methodically, without regard for tiny problems and adverse conditions. There are players who ignore all the negatives and give... everything they do their best shot... That is what every player should strive for" (DeVenzio 164).




I chose to write about mental toughness because I am sometimes not so mentally tough myself. After reading this part in the book, I contemplated on how mentally tough I am and I realized that I need to improve on it. So, I started to focus less on the negative parts and my mistakes when I am playing basketball. Instead of being upset about messing up, making excuses, or letting minor problems get to me, I choose to think about things that I can do to improve and resolve the problems. It is challenging, yet so amazing to have an opportunity to be on a varsity team with all of the players being so talented. It's challenging because it means that I get less playing time than everyone else on the team, but it's magnificent to be on this team because by being on such a talented team I can see my teammates as motivation for me to work harder to improve on the court. 

I have drastically improved on my mental toughness. There are things that are able to lower my confidence, and I used to let them get to me. But now, I realized that I can just use those things to work around the obstacles and inspire me to be more resilient and hardworking. Being mentally tough has really enhanced the way I play. It has helped me be less shy on the court and not be upset about my mistakes. By thinking more positively, it has made me feel better about the way I play. Being mentally tough is very important.

When have you needed to be mentally tough? How were you tough?

DeVenzio, Dick. Stuff Good Players Should Know: Intelligent Basketball from A to Z. 3rd ed. Stafford, TX: PGC Basketball, 1983. Print.


2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with how you think mental toughness is a key part of any sport. It's great how you focus on what you can do to make a difference, instead of mistakes you can't do anything about. Do you have any specific examples about when you had to show some mental toughness?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great that you agree with me, Evan. Yes, I have many examples about when I had to show mental toughness. An example where I have had to show mental toughness is during a basketball game, when I feel like things aren't going the way I want them to go. Meaning that I am making many mistakes, or when I miss a couple of shots in a row, etc. But I always have to get past that and learn from it, then focus on the next play. Confidence is something that I have control of, so it's my responsibility to move on from the negative things and focus on becoming better.

      Delete