Pages

Saturday, December 31, 2016

Choosing and Buying the Best Parts

Choosing and Buying the Best Parts


Choosing the best parts involves a combination of utility and budget. You do not want poorly made cheap parts that don't work well, but you do not want to spend your money on over-priced parts. The best way to keep track of the parts you need is to, "Write down the lists of computer hardware and computer software on a piece of paper with spaces in between." (Gower 10). This allows you to keep track of all your parts and their prices and where to get them.

When looking at prices you need to take in account the quality of the part and your overall budget. John Gower says it is important to know how much you want to spend on parts. I have a budget of $1,000. You do not want to spend too much on a part which is necessary most of the time, but don't always buy the cheapest item. I found a great site to find your parts called pcpartpicker.com, which allows you to look at reviews and compare prices of parts on different sites, so you can find which site sells that particular part for the cheapest price. 

When looking at quality you have to be the judge in the end. You can use reviews and any prior knowledge you have on the parts to judge which is best for you and the computer you want. Since this is my first time making a computer I am just building a basic computer that can use the internet, so I am just going for basic reliable parts nothing that is extremely high powered. While writing this most of my parts have arrived in and just need some final preparation before I start building.
What would your budget be for purchasing parts for a new computer?
Gower III, John, How to Build a Computer (For Beginners) Eighth Edition, Copyright 2011.

2 comments:

  1. Something I've learned you need to watch out for is whether or not your components (specifically the motherboard) will work together. My motherboard was so picky I had to go through 3 different CPU's before I found one that it would work with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My memory was not compatible with the motherboard. The motherboard took DDR4 and the memory DDR3. SO they did not fit together. I had to get an entirely new memory that was DDR4 and it fit. Everything was compatible and fit.

      Delete